• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seniors Low Income Housing Eligibility

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

handeone

What is the name of your state? California

I am in a quandary and thought perhaps I would run it by you for any suggestions or guidance you might provide me.

My friends mother-in-law moved into a Senior Housing Facility in Southern California in June 2004. Prior to that time she underwent the lengthy lottery and approval process. She provided all accurate information and was told she qualified to move in.

In February 2006, while Facility was preparing for an audit from the California Tax Credit Allocation Committee, the owners of the facility discovered that they had made a mistake in determining her eligibility.

The owners called her in for a meeting in which they tried to get her to secure a document which would have made their original calculations correct. However, the tenant did not want to participate in providing documentation she knew and the owners knew to be false.

As if turns out, the audit was conducted and I believe the State never caught that she was not eligible for assistance.

Now her second year lease is up on June 1, 2006. The owners have verbally notified her that a letter will be forthcoming that she needs to vacate by May 31, 2006.

The tenant had a house which she sold in June 2004 after the owners of the Senior Housing told her she qualified. Obviously, she cannot go and purchase the house back for the same price she sold it.

The owners contend they are not putting her out on the street because she has money and she didn't qualify to be there in the first place, even though the owners were the ones who told her she did. Their view is that they made a mistake and they are allowed to make mistakes. But, the tenant gave the owners all the facts and because of their poorly trained staff or their urgency to fill the place, made the wrong calculation and it was also the owners who were willing to solicit false documents after the fact to cover their mistake.

It all seems so wrong. Can they get away with that?

I was wondering if she would be covered by the Good Cause Eviction signed as part of her lease which states the owner cannot evict or refuse to sign new lease without good cause. Would she be entitled to a hearing before a judge? If you are not sure of the answer, where would I go to find out.

I appreciate any guidance you might provide me. If I should need legal advice, who do you suggest I contact? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

averad

handeone said:
I was wondering if she would be covered by the Good Cause Eviction signed as part of her lease which states the owner cannot evict or refuse to sign new lease without good cause.
I think good cause can be defined as not meeting the requirements to live there.

seniorjudge

handeone said:
What is the name of your state? California

I am in a quandary and thought perhaps I would run it by you for any suggestions or guidance you might provide me.

My friends mother-in-law moved into a Senior Housing Facility in Southern California in June 2004. Prior to that time she underwent the lengthy lottery and approval process. She provided all accurate information and was told she qualified to move in.

In February 2006, while Facility was preparing for an audit from the California Tax Credit Allocation Committee, the owners of the facility discovered that they had made a mistake in determining her eligibility.

The owners called her in for a meeting in which they tried to get her to secure a document which would have made their original calculations correct. However, the tenant did not want to participate in providing documentation she knew and the owners knew to be false.

As if turns out, the audit was conducted and I believe the State never caught that she was not eligible for assistance.

Now her second year lease is up on June 1, 2006. The owners have verbally notified her that a letter will be forthcoming that she needs to vacate by May 31, 2006.

The tenant had a house which she sold in June 2004 after the owners of the Senior Housing told her she qualified. Obviously, she cannot go and purchase the house back for the same price she sold it.

The owners contend they are not putting her out on the street because she has money and she didn't qualify to be there in the first place, even though the owners were the ones who told her she did. Their view is that they made a mistake and they are allowed to make mistakes. But, the tenant gave the owners all the facts and because of their poorly trained staff or their urgency to fill the place, made the wrong calculation and it was also the owners who were willing to solicit false documents after the fact to cover their mistake.

It all seems so wrong. Can they get away with that?

I was wondering if she would be covered by the Good Cause Eviction signed as part of her lease which states the owner cannot evict or refuse to sign new lease without good cause. Would she be entitled to a hearing before a judge? If you are not sure of the answer, where would I go to find out.

I appreciate any guidance you might provide me. If I should need legal advice, who do you suggest I contact? Any input would be appreciated. Thank you.

serial poster

Put this in one of the 8 other threads you have started on this subject.....

Dandy Don

You need to be talking to a local eviction/landlord/tenant attorney about this to get the best advice.

Can she afford to live elsewhere?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">