• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social security money theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sadstreet

What is the name of your state? Louisisna

to get right to the point my grandfather draw social security and when he gets his checks women show up and are able to take all his money because he isnt mentally stable. )Bipolar and alzheimers to be exact) My mother has already recieved power of Atorney on him but im trying to figure out the easiest way to get the checks transfered to another family member. I know that you can file a form but he is still able to talk well enough that if the women brought him to the SS office, he could have it changed. How can I make the change and keep him from changing it back. Thanks in advance and great site.

BlondiePB

sadstreet said:
What is the name of your state? Louisisna

to get right to the point my grandfather draw social security and when he gets his checks women show up and are able to take all his money because he isnt mentally stable. )Bipolar and alzheimers to be exact) My mother has already recieved power of Atorney on him but im trying to figure out the easiest way to get the checks transfered to another family member. I know that you can file a form but he is still able to talk well enough that if the women brought him to the SS office, he could have it changed. How can I make the change and keep him from changing it back. Thanks in advance and great site.
Why do you NOT want your mother handing this? Afterall, she is her husband's POA.

Dandy Don

Does your mother live in the same home with your father or in the same city? Does she know what these other women are doing?

She needs to be filing a complaint with the police and also asking the Social Security Office to have his checks sent directly to the bank by direct deposit. Let's hope mother is not putting these ladies up to stealing the check so that SHE won't be found out.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

sadstreet

I do want my mother handling it. She will be. but she has porblems as well and she has a hard time dealing with my grandfather and gets frustrated and gives up. Thats why Im doing the research to keep it short and quick when i have to get her involoved. Thanks so far.

sadstreet

I do want my mother handling it. She will be. but she has porblems as well and she has a hard time dealing with my grandfather and gets frustrated and gives up. Thats why Im doing the research to keep it short and quick when i have to get her involoved. Thanks so far. My mother lives close to me and we are both about 4 hours from him. The rest of my family is there including my grandmother but she had to divorce him to save herself when he went off the deep end and spent their life savings right under her nose. Any help is appreciated. I know i can do it at an unemployment office but I want it done where he cant reverse it back. He has been diagnosed - he cant remember how muc money he has in his pocket for an hour. Ive tested him over and over. So its very easy for these street women who he thinks are friends to lift or or he may just hand it over and they give him ones back.

BlondiePB

Dandy Don said:
She needs to be filing a complaint with the police and also asking the Social Security Office to have his checks sent directly to the bank by direct deposit. Let's hope mother is not putting these ladies up to stealing the check so that SHE won't be found out.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])
Social Security will NOT recognize a POA. Therefore, the poster's mom or any POA cannot change how a SS beneficiary receives his/her monies, including via direct deposit.

BlondiePB

sadstreet said:
I do want my mother handling it. She will be. but she has porblems as well and she has a hard time dealing with my grandfather and gets frustrated and gives up. Thats why Im doing the research to keep it short and quick when i have to get her involoved. Thanks so far. My mother lives close to me and we are both about 4 hours from him. The rest of my family is there including my grandmother but she had to divorce him to save herself when he went off the deep end and spent their life savings right under her nose. Any help is appreciated. I know i can do it at an unemployment office but I want it done where he cant reverse it back. He has been diagnosed - he cant remember how muc money he has in his pocket for an hour. Ive tested him over and over. So its very easy for these street women who he thinks are friends to lift or or he may just hand it over and they give him ones back.
Have your mother apply to be gramps Representative Payee at the SSA office. She will need gramps primary care info for SS. However, gramps could have this undone. Your mom can petition to be gramps guardian/conservator. If the court rules gramps incompetent, only the court can reverse that decision. SS does recognize legal guardians.

sadstreet

thanks Blondie. I can get that done. He told me today he want me to be in charge of him.:rolleyes: I will get it changed after the 3rd and then let him battle it. Court wont be a problem I dont think. The coroner or someone would have to give him a compitancy test or something right? he cant even tell you what month it is. We arnt trying to get his money. We just want it to be kept out of a crack pipe. I want him to have money to fix the house he is in until i can get them all on the same page about a home. They got 200,000 out of him in 1 year. He cashed bonds and everything they had invested so all my grandmother saw was the bank account. My family already pays all of his utilities and food cost so his money could just build up again or go toward his house. Its horrible. tanks so much for the advice.

BlondiePB

thanks Blondie.
You are welcome.
I can get that done. He told me today he want me to be in charge of him.:rolleyes: I will get it changed after the 3rd and then let him battle it. Court wont be a problem I dont think. The coroner or someone would have to give him a compitancy test or something right? he cant even tell you what month it is. We arnt trying to get his money. We just want it to be kept out of a crack pipe. I want him to have money to fix the house he is in until i can get them all on the same page about a home. They got 200,000 out of him in 1 year. He cashed bonds and everything they had invested so all my grandmother saw was the bank account. My family already pays all of his utilities and food cost so his money could just build up again or go toward his house. Its horrible. tanks so much for the advice.
Due to the nature of your plans and gramps not knowing what month it is, he needs a guardian. This is something that will take approx. 6 weeks. Please read your state statutes/codes regarding guardianship. Not everyone is eliglibe to be a guardian. Guardianships are also jurisdictional; therefore, this action must take place in the Parish where gramps resides. See an Elder Law/Probate attorney that specializes in guardianships. Yes, the court will assign an examination committee to assess gramps.

sadstreet

well you said parish so now I know your in my ballpark.;) Thatnks so much. I will get my mother working on that right away. Is this a process that invloves the coroners office? We have been hearing that he has to be held by them to determine mental state. At any rate you have been a great help. Have a good day.

BlondiePB

sadstreet said:
well you said parish so now I know your in my ballpark.;) Thatnks so much. I will get my mother working on that right away. Is this a process that invloves the coroners office? We have been hearing that he has to be held by them to determine mental state. At any rate you have been a great help. Have a good day.
The coroner's office examines dead persons. Stop listening to whoever is telling y'all that grandpa has to be held anywhere for an evaluation of his competency and hire an attorney asap.

Best wishes and back at ya with having a good day,
Blondie

sadstreet

my Lawyer is my father but he is divorced from my mother. He helps for me but i try to get the answers so im not taking his time. He is a damn good lawyer but handles mostly domestic law as in divorce - yea he hates it. I just want to put all the fact in front of him so his work is at a minumum since its his ex - father inlaw. He will do anything for me but i dont want to ask too much time since he has no vested interest and wont get payed. Thanks again.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">