• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Social Services

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

msroncon

What is the name of your state?Ohio

I need some advice.... My father got out of the hospital after a bout with the flu. Two days later, SS comes by to talk to my father to see how he is doing and what does during the day. My father told them how I take him to the local bar to visit his retired friends and talk. Well, now I'm getting weekly visits as if I am abusing/neglecting my father.

He has had two strokes since last year. He also has macular degeneration so he needs help from me to get around. My brother and I live with him. I am a layed off school teacher and I work 3rd shift, so that I may care for my father in the daytime. My brother is with him at night. He has short term memory loss. Has not been diagnosed with dementia, although I believe SS feels it is dementia. SS said they recieved a phone call that I took him to bars. My father says "Hey, I'm 70 years old, nobody is going to tell me I can't have 2 or three beers a week with my friends.

Well, I don't know what to do. How long will they keep bugging us? I know it was the Doctor on duty that talked to him about what he does in his spare time. I don't feel it is any of their business. I am squeaky clean, I was just inducted into Who's Who Among American Teachers. This is unbelievable.

Why not invite the friends to his home once or twice a week. With the health issues and medications that he must be on is it wise he be drinking anything alcoholic?

SS often does follow up when they smell a rat or something does not feel right when they visit a few times.

msroncon

My father doesn't have years to live. And I'll do what he wants me to do.

If he wants a couple of beers, he's getting them. He worked his entire life in this community. He hates people pocking their nose around. Anytime he has gone to the hospital he had no alcohol in his system. His doctor told me a couple of beers a week is not recommended, although he said it is never really recommended, but it won't hurt him.

Now I jist need a statement from him.

Thanks for the reply, but as far as invitiing his friends over, we are talking about retired Marines, that meet for their weekly or twice weekly get together. I'm not going to get my father upset over beer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">