• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Step-brother POA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sxlambe

What is the name of your state? Mississippi

My mother has had Alzhiemers for 6 years now. I hav just found out that my Step-father has assigned my Step-brother as POA over him and my mother within the last couple of months. Can he have POA over my mother since she has Alzhiemers? What are my options to fight this? My Mother would never have agreed to this.

Thanks,
Steven

FlyingRon

Your father unless he has been appointed guardianship over his wife can't appoint "power of attorney" for her.

You need to see a lawyer if your step-brother tries to act as attorney for your mother.

Your father can do what he wants with appointing attorneys for himself.

FlyingRon

What U.S. state court allows a guardian to grant a POA over/for the guardian's ward?
None, but he can appoint power of attorney to act for him with respect to his guardian duties. The OP was pretty vague over exactly what was happening.

BlondiePB

None, but he can appoint power of attorney to act for him with respect to his guardian duties.
What court in the U.S. allows this?

Guardians can hire people, such as a CPA, private nurse, etc. to do things for the guardian on behalf of the ward. Guardians cannot grant a POA to do his/her guardian duties.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">