• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it too late?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

miamel08

State - Colorado

My cousin has Dementia and a friend of hers has gained POA, stating that she has no family. We were unaware because we live in Missouri. My mom was planning to go visit and the friend got my cousins mail and called my mom instructing her not to come to CO. This made us suspiscious, so my mom went to CO and found out the lady has POA and my cousin has stated she wants family to represent her. The lady knows there is family because we met her in JUly and she told us she would keep in contact and if anything happened she would contact us. She never did until she got the letter saying my mom was coming to help her cousin get some of her business together. There is a substantial amount of property, pensions, military assets etc. This lady owed my cousin money before she got sick as well. The concern is that the lady has been misappropriating my cousins financial affairs. Not sure how much she has changed and what things she has sold and signed over to herself. Is there a way to contest the POA filing she has? :(

Dandy Don

Yes. The POA is automatically invalid because a person who has dementia is considered to be not mentally competent enough to make decisions and enter into legal agreements. Talk to a family law attorney to find out to get the POA revoked, to find out what other person or family member would want to acquire conservatorship which would give that person legal authority to handle her finances, and also find out if that state has laws regarding elderly financial abuse and/or abuse of power of attorney so that she will have to make restitution.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">