• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is it too late to transfer a deed after parent is in nursing home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lifesavingsgone

What is the name of your state? Missouri

My Mother is in a nursing home and has just begun partial assistance with Medicaid. My Sister (who has the power of attorney) and I thought Mothers house was owned jointly by her name and the kids name. We have just found out it is still in her name only and is a Beneficiary Deed which transfers to the kids upon death. Is there anyway to change the deed to add everyones name, so the state is unable to take all of the house. Mother has paid all of her savings - over $200,000 to nursing home care since her stroke and all she has now is a home. Since the home is only in her name, can the state put a lien on this house and take the assests after her death? Can we change the deed so the state would only get a portion. What is a special power of appontment mean-transferring the ownership of her home to someone else? Is that the same as a power of attorney? It is all so confusing. Is iit too late to try to save some of the proceeds of a home sale?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

justalayman

What difference would it make at this time. It seems mom will have no use for the home anymore.

it sounds as it is you that are concerned about what you get out of the deal.

pojo2

lifesavingsgone said:
Is iit too late to try to save some of the proceeds of a home sale?

Any help or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.
Why would you want the folks in your state to pay for her care when she still has the resources to pay for her own care, for awhile, just so YOU can "get something"?

lifesavingsgone

assesst savings

I guess I should say thanks for nothing. Apparently this is a bogus site. My questions are legitimate. Mother may be in a nursing home, but she still has needs. Giving her $30.00 a month out of her social security is hardly a living. She still has needs for clothing, toiletries etc. Apparently you people have not faced this in your life. Saying I am looking for money for myself sickens me. When Mothers house is gone I and my sister both are going to have to look for extra work to help Mother. Try looking for a job when you are 60+. It's nice to know people aren't judgemental-right?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">