• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfering DPOA from Washington to Wisconsin

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

debbie0413

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

I am in the process of moving my mother from an Alzhiemer's assisted living facility in Olympia, Washington to a similar facility in a suberb of Milwaukee, Wisconsin. I just signed the paperwork today since a bed only came open yesterday, and the plan was for me to fly out to Washington this coming Saturday and move my mom back here by next Thursday.

Less than an hour and a half after I signed the paperwork, the social worker at the new facility told me that her director said that the Washington state durable power of attorney paperwork (that includes authority for me to make health as well as financial decisions for my mother) that is activated and I have used since 2002 will not allow me to register my mother at the new facility. Also, the social worker told me that the director of the facility stated that I would need to petition for guardianship of my mother. I would only do this as a last resort, since this involves a lot of money and time. I have a message in to Patty Noble, the Wisconsin state ombudsman who represents this new facility.

My concern is that the Labor Day weekend is coming up and it will be really hard to get an answer on this. I had the facility fax me a copy of the guidelines for Wisconsin Power of Attorney for Health Care, and it sounds like the only difference between my existing Washington state durable power of attorney paperwork and the Wisconsin equivalent is that I need my mother's regular doctor plus a licensed psychologist OR 2 doctors to sign a statement that my mother is incapacitated. I already have written record RE: her incapacitation from a doctor my mother previously had in 2002. Can anyone point me toward any law governing the transfer of durable power of attorney documents to Wisconsin? Thank you very much. - DebbieWhat is the name of your state?

BlondiePB

From WI Statutes

155.70(10)

(10) A valid document granting a health care agent authority to make health care decisions for a principal that is executed in another state or jurisdiction in compliance with the law of that state or jurisdiction is valid and enforceable in this state to the extent that the document authorizes the health care agent to make decisions for the principal that a health care agent may make for a principal under this chapter.

debbie0413

Wisconsin statute 155.70(10)

Thank you very much! I just e-mailed this entire statute to the social worker. I hope this is enough to satisfy them.

BlondiePB

debbie0413 said:
Thank you very much! I just e-mailed this entire statute to the social worker. I hope this is enough to satisfy them.
You are very welcome. Make sure you know how to sign contracts correctly so that you do not make yourself the guarantor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">