• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Understanding A Portion From A Power Of Attorney

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Tbeigle54

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pertaining to Va. Law.

This is the passage: " To make gifts, grants or other transfer without consideration either outright or in trust (including the forgiveness of indebtedness) to my spouse and to any of my descendants, including my agent."

Is this the wish of the person making the POA, and can it be changed
by the agent?

Thank you.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pertaining to Va. Law.

This is the passage: " To make gifts, grants or other transfer without consideration either outright or in trust (including the forgiveness of indebtedness) to my spouse and to any of my descendants, including my agent."

Is this the wish of the person making the POA, and can it be changed
by the agent?

Thank you.
The document needs to be read in its entirety to understand what is meant by the portion you quoted.

We cannot on this forum provide a legal analysis of the terms of a document or advise you on whether the document can be changed. That goes beyond the scope of this forum and into the practice of law.

You will need to seek out assistance from an attorney in your area.

Sorry.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I do agree with Quincy, but would like to point out that a power of attorney cannot be modified by the agent.

LdiJ

I agree with everyone else, however I am interpreting (possibly incorrectly) what the OP is really getting at a little differently. I am guessing that the OP wants the agent to make a gift to him/her, and the agent is refusing.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I agree with everyone else, however I am interpreting (possibly incorrectly) what the OP is really getting at a little differently. I am guessing that the OP wants the agent to make a gift to him/her, and the agent is refusing.
I don't see that as the question, but if it were, the answer would be that the agent has no obligation to give a gift from the principal's estate[SUP]*[/SUP]

[SUP]*[/SUP][SUB]I'm using the word in the sense of the property that belongs to the principal, not in the sense of the property left after a person dies.[/SUB]

LdiJ

I don't see that as the question, but if it were, the answer would be that the agent has no obligation to give a gift from the principal's estate[SUP]*[/SUP]

[SUP]*[/SUP][SUB]I'm using the word in the sense of the property that belongs to the principal, not in the sense of the property left after a person dies.[/SUB]
I understand what you meant, and I do agree with your answer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">