• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

undue influence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

billdunn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma I have recently witnessed what I believe is undue influence on my 93 year old mother by my older brother to change her will. This change adversely affects my inheritance, and when questioning my mother about this change she not only did not agree to it but didn't understand it or remember doing it. Her mental state is pretty good however she does have trouble with her memory and trouble grasping concepts. My older brother is quite influential with her and she always agrees with everything he says whether she understands it or not. I do not have the resources to contest a will. My question is since she is still alive do I have any legal options here in dealing with this.

Dandy Don

Consult with a family law attorney to determine whether you or another family member would want to acquire conservatorship of her and thus be able to care for her and be in charge of her finances. Do you know if brother has gotten a signed power of attorney from her?

You will need to have her mental competency tested by a physician and also check her medical records to see if she is suffering from a disease or taking medication that affects her mental competency. Is she paying her own bills now or is someone else doing that?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">