• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

unsure if i am being lied to

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

SadieWolf

this is kind of complicated but here goes. my girlfriend lives with me having moved out of her adoptive mother's house, since then she has worked and went to doctors appointments on her own with no help needed aside from getting a ride there and back. her mother is threatening to come here where we live and take her against her will back to the mother's house....the mother is claiming that she can do this because she has power of attorney over my girlfriend yet refuses to show documents or any other proof...my question is this if she does have power of attorney can she do this?

this is kind of complicated but here goes. my girlfriend lives with me having moved out of her adoptive mother's house, since then she has worked and went to doctors appointments on her own with no help needed aside from getting a ride there and back. her mother is threatening to come here where we live and take her against her will back to the mother's house....the mother is claiming that she can do this because she has power of attorney over my girlfriend yet refuses to show documents or any other proof...my question is this if she does have power of attorney can she do this?
What state are you in and how old is your girlfriend?
If your girlfriend is under age she is going home with momma.
No ifs ands or butts about it.

..__________________
~ Meddle not in the affairs of dragons,
for thou art crunchy and taste good with ketchup

we live in tennessee she is 23
Well then, until "MoM" shows up waving a POA in your face my guess is she's bluffing.
Thing is...
What would your girlfriend do if she did?
I can't help but think that there is more to this than your telling us.

Last edited:

SadieWolf

other info would be her mother claims she is mentally incompetent though she has done many things without her help

She just might do it

other info would be her mother claims she is mentally incompetent though she has done many things without her help
Her Mother doesn't have to show you squat.
If your girlfriend has been declared by the court to be mentally incompetent then you my be fighting an up hill battle and one that you may loose.

AdjunctFL

Are you sure you meant "Power of Attorney." It usually gives someone the authority to act for another, most commonly in financial affairs, but not to act as their guardian.

LdiJ

Are you sure you meant "Power of Attorney." It usually gives someone the authority to act for another, most commonly in financial affairs, but not to act as their guardian.
I agree, a POA would not give someone authority over the person who granted the POA. Only a guardianship would do that. So, if mom really did threaten that she had a POA and it gave her that authority she is either wrong, or lying.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">