• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Very Mentally Incompetent Parent-Need Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

PKMurphy

What is the name of your state? Michigan
My mom is suffering from dementia (and has been for years). She is now at the point that she is controlling my parents household (my dad follows her lead), She refuses to go to the doctor, thus so does my dad. Both are in need of immediate medical care. My mom is slowing killing my dad and herself and they both need to see a doctor. My dad is at real risk of a stroke (he has very high blood pressure) and I can't get him medication because neither one of them has a primary care physician. My mom is diabitic and has exhaused her insulin and stills refuses to go to the doctor. She is so mentally ill and we can't seem to get her out of their house to see a doctor. I feel that we (my brother and I) should take my mom to court to get her into a psych ward temporarily. My dad is almost completely blind and can no longer take care of my mother but he insists that he can. What options do we have to see that the quality of their lives is improved? My mother suffers from paranoia and won't allow outsiders into the house and of course she won't leave the house to see an atorney. What do we do??

BlondiePB

PKMurphy said:
What is the name of your state? Michigan
My mom is suffering from dementia (and has been for years). She is now at the point that she is controlling my parents household (my dad follows her lead), She refuses to go to the doctor, thus so does my dad. Both are in need of immediate medical care. My mom is slowing killing my dad and herself and they both need to see a doctor. My dad is at real risk of a stroke (he has very high blood pressure) and I can't get him medication because neither one of them has a primary care physician. My mom is diabitic and has exhaused her insulin and stills refuses to go to the doctor. She is so mentally ill and we can't seem to get her out of their house to see a doctor. I feel that we (my brother and I) should take my mom to court to get her into a psych ward temporarily. My dad is almost completely blind and can no longer take care of my mother but he insists that he can. What options do we have to see that the quality of their lives is improved? My mother suffers from paranoia and won't allow outsiders into the house and of course she won't leave the house to see an atorney. What do we do??
Call Adult Protective Services. They will send an investigator who will evalute the situation and take necessary steps, including what is necessary if mom and dad are in immediate danger to themselves. Mom and dad need a guardian.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">