• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can be done about this pair of con-artists?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

P

Pat88998899

What is the name of your state? Massachusetts

My mother is 90 yrs old, and up until 2 years ago lived by herself in the house we grew up in. My younger brother had her transfer all her assets and income over to himself, and he told my son (24) that everything is his, because he is the only one that deserves anything. (Another brother lives in Fla, sister in North Carolina, (whom only has anything to do with my mother, when she hits her up for money) and another brother in western MA, who has very little to do with my mother. I live the next town over, and my brother lives in the same town as my mother)

A little history - My younger brother growing up ( 70's, early 80's) would break into houses in the town we lived, bring stolen goods into my mothers house, would take her car before he even had a license, and ended up totaling it while on drugs, ran home, witness described him, police went to house, mother said that he was there, and could not have stolen her car,(that's what she believed). His passtime is gambling, which my mother knows nothing about.
My mother had originally left 25000 in her will to my son for college, but my brother convinced her to take him out of her will, when I was having a problem with him as a teenager (nothing compared to what my brother did growing up)

A little over 2 years ago, a friend of my brothers, who's intentions are very questionable, started *helping* my mother, by doing everything for her. So much so, that my mother doesn't believe she can do anything for herself, including going to the bathroom.(which she does just fine in the middle of the night, and when this *friend* is not around. My son moved in with my mother 2 years ago, against my brothers wishes ( who doesn't like the fact that people think that my son is the one who is really there for my mother)

They are doing everything to drive my son out of there.
My brother and his *friend* insist that the doors to the house remain unlocked 24 hours a day, which includes when my mother is alone, and in the middle of the night. (My brother locks his doors even when he is home) Before this *friend* started *helping*, my mother was self-sufficient, but this *friend* has convinced her that she is totally helpless. So this *friend* and my brother, want my son out of there, and want my mother living there by herself with doors unlocked 24 hours a day.

In addition, this *friend* buys food and brings her meals, and gets the money back from my brother. My mother is not eating right, because she doesn't like what she brings for her, throws it away after she leaves, and eats nothing. As a result she is up for hours in the night, gets to sleep early in the morning, like 3, 4, 5 a.m, and then this *friend* comes and wakes her up in the morning @ 7 a.m.to give her breakfast. As a result of this, she is totally exhausted all day long, and acts like she is crazy, throwing things and not making any sense. When she gets enough sleep she is totally normal. (I know this because when my brother was away, I went over and brought (healthy) food that my mother likes,told this *friend* NOT to come over and wake her up in the morning, and locked the door. My mother slept fine, and she was just like she always used to be, totally with it.

When my brother came back, my son told him that we solved the *mystery* of why my mother doesn't sleep, and told him what happened. He went balistic, yelling that that's not true, and I don't know what I am talking about.

My brother threatens to throw my son out of the house, *because he has power of attorney*, which he obviously doesn't know the meaning of. My mother asks for food that she likes, and they ignore her.

My brother tells my mother, (my son hears this), that everyone else bailed out on her, and he is the only one that stuck it out. He has tried to brainwash her against me, and she used to repeat what he said about me, to me, which I just ignored, and it seems she realized that what he says about me is not true.

She used to always want to go out, very active, but she won't go anywhere She just sits in front of the tv, because she is always so tired.

My mother owns (owned) a house on a good piece of land, in a middle to upper class town, gets a pension and social security which is about 2000 a month, I believe. She has 401ks. She always saved and spent very little money. But when she talks to other people, you would think she was a pauper, because she acts like one, being in awe of people who don't have any more money than she has (had).

All suggestions welcome!

P

Pat88998899

What can be done about this pair of con artists?

seniorjudge said:
Is your mother mentally competent?
That's hard to say. When she is deprived of sleep as she is, she would be considered incompetent. When my brother was away and she was eating and sleeping right, she was very competent.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">