• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the difference?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

momm2500

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

for us dummies; can someone explain the difference between the following

general POA

durable POA

medical POA (obvious)

or is there no difference?

Last edited:

BusyMom1967

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

for us dummies; can someone explain the difference between the following

general POA

durable POA

medical POA (obvious)

or is there no difference?

I can tell you the first one is the most dangerous. A general POA basically gives someone control of your financial life! The person you give it to, can immediatly go down and close your bank accounts, sell your house, evict you, and sell everything in your home, including the shirt off your back - You can later fight all of this as Abuse of a POA, but it is such a long pain, and you will NEVER get back everything you lost. Ask almost any soldier (male or female) deployed and the general POA worries them the most. I would talk to a lawyer before doing this one.

I haven't heard of the durable POA - BUT I have used plenty of Specific POAs and Medical POAs for my children and husband.

Specific - I give you permission to do anything or a list of things. From silly things to very serious things. Example - I gave a spefic POA to a friend once when I had to go out of town. IT was to take my pets to the vet and approve and sign for their care, with a clause stating I would pay her when I returned.

BUT, once when I traveled to another state, my Boyfriend at the time took my children for their school reception, and he had to fill out alot of forms and sign the kids up for classes - I gave him a specific POA to do all of this. Specific POAs are cheap and easy to do. A Notary Republic did all of mine.

These are normally the ones you sign when your kids go to camp or on a school trip.
These are normally set to last less than 1 year, but can be up to 2 years.

Remember, at any time, as long as you are mentally fit, all POAs can be revoked and changed. BUT, if you get hit by Murphys Mac truck, and you are in a COMA, you can't do anything.

VERY important - for obvious reasons, Many hospitals do not honor General POAs as the medical POA, you need both if someone you care for is in the hospital. **Everyone needs a Medical ONE RIGHT NOW - they are cheap and easy to do. ***

Last edited:

momm2500

POA_Thanks

Thanks for giving some clarification. Now I have to find out which one mom had. I think durable is only if you are incompitent is when the POA takes over. That I will need to get better clarification on. I hope someone else has more information. Again thanks

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">