• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who gets deceased grandparents stocks?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bizzidrea

What is the name of your state?
Michigan

My husband's dead grandparents own a modest amount of stocks in a local company. We have been receiving statements and dividend checks regarding them for ages, and not knowing what to do, we have ignored them. Now the bank that holds the stocks wants to cash out the lower stockholders (which his grandparents were), so the situation needs to be resolved. I have called the bank in question regarding this matter and haven't received any helpful information. I assume somewhere it says who these stocks should go to, but neither my husband or I know where to look.

Helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou!

Dandy Don

Check at the county courthouse probate court to see if either of your grandparent's had a last will and testament that was probated in court (you need to know their names and dates of death and city/state of death).

If there is a probate file for either of them, look at the file to see who the executor was and then contact the executor so that he/she can file a claim with the company holding the stock, or with a stock broker, to get a check issued. If there was no executor, you or an attorney you or your parents hire can file to become executor to get these stocks handled through probate.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

pojo2

bizzidrea said:
What is the name of your state?
Michigan

We have been receiving statements and dividend checks regarding them for ages, and not knowing what to do, we have ignored them.
None of these checks have ever been cashed, right?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">