• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noodles911

What is the name of your state? Virginia

My brother put me in his will,while he was of sound mind.
He now has dementia,but my sister,who has power of attorney,refuses to show me the will.
I think she has tried to remove me from the will,but the attorney realized my brotherk,was not of sound mind at this time,and denied the request.
Is it possible for me to force her,to show me a copy of my brother's will?:confused:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state? Virginia

My brother put me in his will,while he was of sound mind.
He now has dementia,but my sister,who has power of attorney,refuses to show me the will.
I think she has tried to remove me from the will,but the attorney realized my brotherk,was not of sound mind at this time,and denied the request.
Is it possible for me to force her,to show me a copy of my brother's will?:confused:
Not until he dies...
EDIT: You DO know that your brother's stuff isn't "yours", right?

noodles911

Thank you for your help,but allow me to add,I love my brother,and I am not "waiting to profit from his death",but my sister is a "viper",and I simply do not trust her.

Dandy Don

You can't do much of anything (and you don't need to do much of anything) until the death occurs. She may have had a newer will drafted which disinherits you or she may just be withholding the will out of spite. After the death occurs, you can take the will (which will probably be filed for probating at the county courthouse probate court within 30-60 days after the death occurs) to a probate attorney to determine whether you have legal grounds for contesting it or not.

If you suspect and have proof that she is keeping monies for herself that she is not entitled to and not providing an accounting to show she is spending the monies for the brother's care, then this is financial abuse which needs to be reported to the police or a local social services agency.

noodles911

How did the evil sister get power of attorney?
Before my brother became too ill, he asked me if I wanted to "help" him out,meaning he wanted me to become his power of attorney,when he was of sound mind,but I declined,due to family issues of jealousy.
Actually, I was the one who suggested he contact my sister!
If I only knew then,what I know now.

BlondiePB

Before my brother became too ill, he asked me if I wanted to "help" him out,meaning he wanted me to become his power of attorney,when he was of sound mind,but I declined,due to family issues of jealousy.
Actually, I was the one who suggested he contact my sister!
If I only knew then,what I know now.
Since brother was competent when he signed the POA, you can't do anything about seeing his will until the will is submitted to probate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">