• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Anyone had a negligence case concerning mold?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jackstraw

Hi Folks,
I,m new so hello to all and I hope someone knows something pertaining to the issue we are involved in. About a year and a half ago, I moved in my girlfriend's condo to help her with things while she recovered from knee and foot surgery. Her 25 year old son, who is retarded and autistic, lived there with us, as she is his legal guardian. I noticed how lethargic they acted at the condo but not outside of the condo. I did not really think much about it until after a few months living there, I began getting lethargic, having sore teeth, waking up at night as though unable to breathe, headaches, weight loss, memory blanks, and other stuff soon followed. I am a fitness trainer and noticed that my girl and her son were exibiting similar symptoms that were not normal. I was not sure what the deal was, except the symptoms eased off when we'd leave the condo. A friend of mine at the gym heard me talking about this and came up to me to talk about it. He is a licensed air quality inspector and told me it sounded like we had a mold issue. My girl had called the landlord several times asking him to check out the place cause she was worried about our declining health, especially her son, who has low immunity anyway, and the "smell" coming from the kitchen pantry and cabinets. I found out that the landlord came out and checked around, even looked in the attic space located in the pantry and said "Oh, everything is just fine" and left. This prompted me to get my friend to come in and do an inspection in which he located and took photos of several kinds of mold, especially in the pantry attic space. He even developed a severe headache and numbness in his face while examining the pantry. His analysis yielded at least 4 harmful strains of bacterial mold and I even went to my Dr. to have bloodwork done because I felt awful and had began to miss work. I thought I might have a disease or something, but the tests came back OK, so that ruled out the disease factor. I showed her the report and she saw the molds found and said they were most likely causing the misery. She also agreed the molds found were dangerous. This led to finding out that during the time they had lived in the condo, my girl had taken her son to the hospital several times with bacterial pneumonia (which he never had before) and that he had developed Mitral Valve Regurgitation, which my textbooks revealed was most often caused by bacterial substances. The landlord was asked by the boy's state-employed case worker to have the air ducts and stuff, cleaned, he promised he would call and get it done, but never did. Finally, we found another place to live and all of us began feeling better. We presented our case to an attorney recently and are waiting to hear back from him. My question is, do we have a case or what? Jackstraw

Proserpina

Hi Folks,
I,m new so hello to all and I hope someone knows something pertaining to the issue we are involved in. About a year and a half ago, I moved in my girlfriend's condo to help her with things while she recovered from knee and foot surgery. Her 25 year old son, who is retarded and autistic, lived there with us, as she is his legal guardian. I noticed how lethargic they acted at the condo but not outside of the condo. I did not really think much about it until after a few months living there, I began getting lethargic, having sore teeth, waking up at night as though unable to breathe, headaches, weight loss, memory blanks, and other stuff soon followed.
Did you try anything to remedy this?

I am a fitness trainer and noticed that my girl and her son were exibiting similar symptoms that were not normal. I was not sure what the deal was, except the symptoms eased off when we'd leave the condo. A friend of mine at the gym heard me talking about this and came up to me to talk about it. He is a licensed air quality inspector and told me it sounded like we had a mold issue.
Was he a home inspector? A mold inspector? What exactly is a "licensed air quality inspector"? :confused:

My girl had called the landlord several times asking him to check out the place cause she was worried about our declining health, especially her son, who has low immunity anyway, and the "smell" coming from the kitchen pantry and cabinets.
What is the root of her son's autoimmune deficiency?

I found out that the landlord came out and checked around, even looked in the attic space located in the pantry and said "Oh, everything is just fine" and left. This prompted me to get my friend to come in and do an inspection in which he located and took photos of several kinds of mold, especially in the pantry attic space. He even developed a severe headache and numbness in his face while examining the pantry. His analysis yielded at least 4 harmful strains of bacterial mold and I even went to my Dr. to have bloodwork done because I felt awful and had began to miss work.
What kind of analysis was performed? By whom? Under what conditions?

I thought I might have a disease or something, but the tests came back OK, so that ruled out the disease factor. I showed her the report and she saw the molds found and said they were most likely causing the misery. She also agreed the molds found were dangerous.
Which types of mold were found?

This led to finding out that during the time they had lived in the condo, my girl had taken her son to the hospital several times with bacterial pneumonia (which he never had before) and that he had developed Mitral Valve Regurgitation, which my textbooks revealed was most often caused by bacterial substances.
MVP (mitral valve prolapse) is the most common cause of non-congenital MVR in recent years; prior to this most cases would generally have been as a result of rheumatic heart disease which is usually caused by a strep bacteria. Did he ever suffer from a severe strep throat? scarletina? Untreated infection?

(this is also unrelated to the mold problem of which you speak)

The landlord was asked by the boy's state-employed case worker to have the air ducts and stuff, cleaned, he promised he would call and get it done, but never did. Finally, we found another place to live and all of us began feeling better. We presented our case to an attorney recently and are waiting to hear back from him. My question is, do we have a case or what? Jackstraw
A case for what exactly?

Jackstraw

OK, Proserpina, lets see,
#1 I did not know what to think, if it was age or stress related, if something in the place was causing these reactions, it was very difficult to pin it on any particular thing, as none of us had ever experienced this
#2 He is a licensed NORMI Certified Mold Inspector
#3 His mouth hangs open from his retardation and hem has difficulty with mastication and swallowing, therefore hindering utilization and assimilation of nutrients
#4 Air-O-Cell sampling and Enviro Swab Sampling was done.
#5Alternaria, Aspergillus, Cladosporium, Curvularia, Penicillium, Syncephalastrum
In reference to your congenital defect probability, my ASCM references and a noted Toxoligy MD, bacterial invasion is the most frequent cause of MVP, and his condition is not congenital.
#5 Read my post and see where the landlord lied several times, furthering and delaying the ill effects we were enduring. You could say that was criminal negligence, for starters, and the rest is being handled by the attorney we just procured. Anything else? jackstraw

Proserpina

OK, Proserpina, lets see,
#1 I did not know what to think, if it was age or stress related, if something in the place was causing these reactions, it was very difficult to pin it on any particular thing, as none of us had ever experienced this
#2 He is a licensed NORMI Certified Mold Inspector
#3 His mouth hangs open from his retardation and hem has difficulty with mastication and swallowing, therefore hindering utilization and assimilation of nutrients
#4 Air-O-Cell sampling and Enviro Swab Sampling was done.
#5Alternaria, Aspergillus, Cladosporium, Curvularia, Penicillium, Syncephalastrum
In reference to your congenital defect probability, my ASCM references and a noted Toxoligy MD, bacterial invasion is the most frequent cause of MVP, and his condition is not congenital.
#5 Read my post and see where the landlord lied several times, furthering and delaying the ill effects we were enduring. You could say that was criminal negligence, for starters, and the rest is being handled by the attorney we just procured. Anything else? jackstraw
Do let us know what your attorney suggests.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">