• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Billed for cleaning of moldy apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michelle512

What is the name of your state? Wisconsin

My fiance and I moved into a new apartment a month ago. We had lived at our previous apartment 4 years. It had a two different leaks in the ceiling which caused a significant amount of mold. When we informed our landlords, their response was to put up a drop ceiling, so that when the water leaked through a tile, they could just replace a tile. They did not fix the leaks, so obviously it didn't help the mold problem at all. Both my fiance and I have suffered numerous health problems because of it. Unfortunately we never had a doctor document anything saying the mold was the cause of our health issues. We cleaned as well as we could when we moved out, but moving everything must've stirred up the mold spores, because we both got very sick while cleaning. We left some things, such as the stove and cabinets, uncleaned. Now, a month later, our old landlords have sent us a bill because they hired a cleaning service to do the rest of the cleaning. I had given them our phone number when we moved, and told them to call if they had any problems, which they did not. We would've gone back and cleaned more if they had. I'm very angry that they are asking for more money(we did not get our security deposit back because we had to stay into a new month and it covered the pro-rated rent), especially with all of the health problems we've suffered. Is there anything we can do? Can they hold us responsible for the bill they sent, or do we have a right to refuse to pay? Thanks.

funkymonkey

It Is All About The Proof

Do you have any proof that there was mold in the home? Pictures or copy of work orders? ANYTHING! If not, Pay the bill or you will be sued and they will win!

funkymonkey

You do have a leg to stand on

Oklahoma- You stated that the landlord took your deposit for a prorated rent. Deposits are not to be used for rent but are to kept in a differant place. Landlord broke law there. Deposits are to be used for cleaning up of the place if it is not returned in a suitable condition. Can you proof that is were your deposit went for sure. The landlord shoud have sued you for rent not clean up. You can win this one if you go about it the right way depending on your proof. You also have to do your job as a renter also. You are suppose to give notice of your departure and also a written request for your deposit. Check into the landlord-tenants forum on this matter because we are getting away from the enviroment issue here.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">