• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Bites from Bedbugs/Fleas in Hotel

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DOCK

What is the name of your state? Texas

I stayed in hotel overnight at a major hotel chain location in Huntsville, AL, 36 hrs later I saw where I was covered in bug bites from my chest and upper arms down to my thighs. There are dark marks/blemishes from the bites on the affected areas along with continuous itching.

What type of legal options do I have or did I take a chance on staying in a $129.00 a night room?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If the bites were severe enough to warrant medical attention, you MIGHT be able to get your medical bills paid. You will need some kind of proof that the ONLY place you could have contracted these bites was at the hotel.

Otherwise, you're out of luck. There are no long lasting or permanent damages to sue for.

loveumms

Bed bugs are popping up again in the USA (http://msnbc.msn.com/id/11916682/) and so are the lawsuits against hotels/apartments. All of the plaintiffs had serious injuries from the bites (the woman in Chicago claimed she has 500+ bites which have caused her significant psychological damage).

Did you tell the manager of the hotel that you were bitten and show them your bites? Did you look at the mattress to determine if you could see the bugs? You likely will be able to get your $129 back since you potentially are bad publicity.

Like cbg said, you have no permanent damages. Hopefully you discarded, or at least washed in very hot water, all the clothes you slept in while at that hotel (since they can travel on your clothes and infest your home).

drakingson

Bed bugs In My Hotel

I stayed at a chain in NJ outside of NYC. On the fifth day I noticed that my body was covered with bed bug bites. I became sick two days earlier and I left on the 6th day. I had two more days before checking out but the crappy hotel billed me for those two days. When I got home I went to the urgent care unit. The doctor confirmed they were bed bug bites. He gave me all sorts of meds. I had to call out sick for a week. I have scars on my body from the bugs and still suffer from the side effects. I lost over 2k in clothes and other personal items. I have experience emotional distress and trauma. I can't sleep at night and clean my house almost every day for fear of bugs. The little critters came back with me from NJ and I've had to throw away more items like my mattresses, couch, TV, DVD player, books, etc. I've spent countless of dollars on products to get rid of bed bugs. But what I really need is an exterminator. My lawyer in Ohio contacted the hotel and they contacted their insurance company. The insurance company said that they had a bed bug doctor come out three weeks after my visit and he found no bugs. The whole thing is bull crap because they had an exterminator trreat that room as soon as a left. That place is crawling with bugs. I could go back their today and find bugs in their rooms. I did call the police on the day I saw the bites. There was a police report. I also called the chain's customer service department when I was at the hotel and they took my complaint and gave me a complaint ID number. I received a call from one of the executives when I got home on my answering machine. They are trying to pass the buck to the owner of the hotel I stayed at since it is a franchise. He called and left a message on my machine the second day I got back.

The insurance company is accepting the bug doctor's report and wanted to give me $100 for my grief. I told my lawyer they could kiss my you know what. I am dropping my lawyer for many reasons but mostly because he isn't licensed in NJ. Does anybody know of any good lawyers in NJ who have had success with these cases and who are licensed in NJ????

Last edited:
Please start your own thread and do not revive old ones. Also, not sure why you would throw away electronics (TV, DVD player) because of bed bugs....

Jacket

Settle the matter with the hotel

I stayed in hotel overnight at a major hotel chain location in Huntsville, AL, 36 hrs later I saw where I was covered in bug bites from my chest and upper arms down to my thighs. There are dark marks/blemishes from the bites on the affected areas along with continuous itching.

What type of legal options do I have or did I take a chance on staying in a $129.00 a night room?
I feel that the best way to settle a dispute like this is directly with the hotel. Bed bugs can be really nasty and there is no way you should have to pay for a hotel room that has bed bugs. I don't think it is the hotels fault that they have these pests, but they should at least have a pest control procedure so that they minimise the likelihood of bed bugs.

My mother was attacked by bed bugs severely last week. The hotel owner would not give us a full refund no matter what I said. How ridiculous. He should have felt lucky that I was only asking for a room refund. We've had to go to hospital twice since and but different medications.

In my case, I've decided to highlight to as many people as possible that this hotel has bed bugs. I don't care about the money - I care about my mother who has terrible bites all her face and body. My blog post about the Heeren Inn will eventually become the 1st result in Google for a search on Heeren Inn.

http://www.zible.com/travel/heeren-inn-malacca-has-bed-bugs/139/

This is one way to settle the matter if the hotel is not forthcoming in offering an immediate refund.

Should have stayed at a Holiday Inn.:p

Seriously. You need to have seen a doctor immediately regardless becaue hotels (especially ones nearby an airport) could be carrying foreign bugs. A year or 2 from now you could be spinning webs or feet becoming webbed and have no idea as to why. Or worse, you could become very hormonal and if a male grow breasts or something.

Yes...you really need to see a doctor AND get blood tests if you were anywhere near an airport.

also...I do not care if it is a 5 star hotel. We (use to) travel often. Made it a point to go "somewhere" in or out of the country quarterly but now are basically grounded. A "bug" is a bug and is small and they bury themselves, so no housekeeping svc. in the world could get them all if carried in luggage etc...see a doctor. Get blood tests too. I got SO sick one time in Cozumel Mexico when bitten by a damn bug. In a VERY high end all inclusive resort too. It was not their fault at all. I never would have thought that either.

tripton

Bedbugs are common in USA nowadays. many hotels and buildings are sued for the bites which people get while staying there. It is better to settle the dispute with the owners.And if necessary inspect your house too just in case you have carried it with you to your house.If it is so then treat your house with the treatment available in deadbedbugs.com

racer72

Did you bother to read this whole thread. Not once, but twice people posted telling others to not revive dead threads such as this one. This is called necroposting. Once again, DON'T REVIVE DEAD THREADS, START YOUR OWN!!!!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">