• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Help from a depress daughter

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bellecreole

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My mother had worked for this company for the last 11 years she had endures so much there. The environment she used to work at was over 100 degrees hot plus the chemical she was inhaling at work was so strong she used to come home with running nose, burning and irritating eyes, and coughing and hacking plus shortness of breath. The job was at a juice plant.

As an immigrant the place took advantage of them because they speak no english and most of the employees has limitated reading and writing.
On 11/15/2011 She colapsed at work because she was unable to breath and suffered a major stroke which left her paralyzed on left side of her body. she bed bound unable to to speak.

She is now at a nursing home rehab making minor improvement. My legal question for y'all do you think we can sue the company or not. i have contacted a lawyer he said that we dont have a case because of the stroke. My mom had no high blood pressure, no diabetes, do not smoke, plus all her previous medical records had shown she was in perfect health.

Please help anyway y'all can. sorry for my long story.

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My mother had worked for this company for the last 11 years she had endures so much there. The environment she used to work at was over 100 degrees hot plus the chemical she was inhaling at work was so strong she used to come home with running nose, burning and irritating eyes, and coughing and hacking plus shortness of breath. The job was at a juice plant.

As an immigrant the place took advantage of them because they speak no english and most of the employees has limitated reading and writing.
On 11/15/2011 She colapsed at work because she was unable to breath and suffered a major stroke which left her paralyzed on left side of her body. she bed bound unable to to speak.

She is now at a nursing home rehab making minor improvement. My legal question for y'all do you think we can sue the company or not. i have contacted a lawyer he said that we dont have a case because of the stroke. My mom had no high blood pressure, no diabetes, do not smoke, plus all her previous medical records had shown she was in perfect health.

Please help anyway y'all can. sorry for my long story.
The hurdle to overcome here is proving that the company's work environment and exposure to the high heat and chemicals were the cause of your mom's stroke. I'm not sure what chemicals you are talking about, but if you can find a link between exposure to them and the stroke, you might have a case.

Just because one attorney doesn't think you have a case doesn't necessarily mean you don't. You might want to check with a few of them.

First thing check the reason of the stroke.. if it because of the environment in her work you can sue the company. And report the company, I think that company is not following a rightful directives for the safeness of their employees for what you have describe it's disgusting how they treat their employees.

W

Willlyjo

a personal injury attorney.
Wrong! A Worker's Compensation Attorney would be the proper person to contact regarding this matter. There could be countless ingredients to the mother's work environment that contributed to her stroke. The fact it appears it was an unsafe work-environment alone exposing workers to improper venilation (among other things) may be enough to convince a Worker's Comp. Attorney to take such case.

OHRoadwarrior

Where the entire thing might fall apart is the fact that since she was illegal, she was not officially on the companies employment records.

W

Willlyjo

Where the entire thing might fall apart is the fact that since she was illegal, she was not officially on the companies employment records.
You could be right! I don't know how the Worker's Comp. Laws go in Florida but if it is like California Workers Comp. Law, then even illegal aliens are eligible for benefits as a result of work-related injuries. ;)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I see where the poster says she was an immigrant. I do not see where she said that she was an illegal immigrant.

I was not born in the US. I am here legally. I know of at least two other regular responders on the board for which the same is true.

OHRoadwarrior

I didn't reply to CBG at the time on this thread, because OP did not come back. Since it was revived temporarily I will though. Reading between the lines, the substandard working conditions, in clear violation of OSHA standards, coupled with OP's mom being moved into nursing care, without any type of WC action, indicates OP's mom was working under the table and the nursing home was not being paid for with employer based insurance. It was not a very far stretch to reasonably conclude the employer was hiring undocumented workers. (End 2nd followup necropost)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">