• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Iowa rental law for asbestos?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kungpaoshizi

Iowa is the state

Long story short, I just moved into a place, didn't give a hole in the basement ceiling much thought. After a buddy came over he thought it might be asbestos. Having it tested this week though. But there was no mention of it in the lease, the lady never said anything, and last night we had some insulation fall all over some clothes because the duct work moves a little. :|

There's a clause in the lease about 'if the tennant believes the house to be uninhabitable reasonable notice needs to be given".
I'm assuming this is there for that very reason? Because it's cheaper for the home-owner to let someone move out rather than actually clean the place out? They remodeled within the last couple years, so I'm guessing they never tested before remodeling, and thus never cleaned the place, so all the dust and AC unit are now contaminated....

Thanks for any comments and advice.

quincy

Iowa is the state

Long story short, I just moved into a place, didn't give a hole in the basement ceiling much thought. After a buddy came over he thought it might be asbestos. Having it tested this week though. But there was no mention of it in the lease, the lady never said anything, and last night we had some insulation fall all over some clothes because the duct work moves a little. :|

There's a clause in the lease about 'if the tennant believes the house to be uninhabitable reasonable notice needs to be given".
I'm assuming this is there for that very reason? Because it's cheaper for the home-owner to let someone move out rather than actually clean the place out? They remodeled within the last couple years, so I'm guessing they never tested before remodeling, and thus never cleaned the place, so all the dust and AC unit are now contaminated....

Thanks for any comments and advice.
How old is the house?

FarmerJ

you wrote >I'm guessing they never tested before remodeling, and thus never cleaned the place, so all the dust and AC unit are now contaminated....<<< Until you have actual test results you have no way of knowing so what Quincy asked is super important , just how old is the house ? if you do not know then call your county property tax desk and ask them if they have a approximate date the house was built listed with the property tax records for that address. Any communications you have with your LL about this use written on paper letters sent via certified mail and keep copies for your own paper trail. Do not just move out with out having proof of your claim re asbestos assume nothing! Prove it !

quincy

From Iowa Code §562A.13 (6), a landlord "shall disclose to each tenant in writing before commencement of the tenancy if the property is listed in the comprehensive environmental response compensation and liability information system maintained by the federal environmental protection agency."

Here is a link to the law: https://legis.iowa.gov/docs/code/562A.13.pdf

And here is a link to information on Iowa's Asbestos regulations - I suggest you click on the Asbestos Regulations Brochure under Forms, Guidance and Technical Information: http://www.iowadnr.gov/InsideDNR/Regulatory/Air/Asbestos.aspx

A landlord is not responsible for testing for asbestos prior to renting a house or apartment but must disclose any known contamination (possibly discovered prior to renovations). IF asbestos is discovered and deemed a problem, the landlord is responsible for its removal (which is usually done by a licensed asbestos abatement contractor). The landlord could potentially be responsible for providing alternative housing for a tenant during the asbestos removal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">