• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Legionella exposure from an apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Gail in Georgia

"While I agree with this, its also a very serious matter and people can die from that kind of exposure. If it is the apartment complex the other tenants are at risk if nothing comes to light regarding this problem."

Quite true; however, the OP mentions nothing about other tenants complaining of identical respiratory symptoms nor did she expend (despite stating she was worried "about babies, smokers, cancer patients and other people with low immune systems that might be living in the apartment complex") much energy to determine if testing was done and if so, the results of this.

Gail

Ladyback1

ok...so, you lived in this apartment 24/7? Never going out for any period of time? Do you work? Do you go to ANY place? Ironically enough, you could have been exposed in a medical facility.:eek:

Recent exposure is just that "recent" --you could have been exposed anywhere where you have been or continue to go.

"most likely" is different than "within a degree of medical certainty/probability". And because you didn't pursue the matter through the appropriate channels (should have contacted your local health dept. when you got the diagnosis and ask that they come and test your apt.), you really can't prove at this time that the apt. is the reason you are ill.

tinaseals

Course Of Action

There are several legal points that come to mind when hearing your situation.

Number one: do you have a housing program, voucher, section 8, welfare, or any reason to believe the property is state or city owned or managed? If so, to any of these, its a great chance you can be compensated.

Second: statute of limitations, you most likely have time to pursue a negligence claim but must check.

Third: be prepared to prove that the apartment water was the reason for legionella. If you traveled to a foreign country or drank public water elsewhere that needs to be known also because what if the pipes test clean in the apt?

Fourth: they may cite your admission of compromised immunity as culprit for normal contamination so beware when filing your claim.

Proserpina

Number one: do you have a housing program, voucher, section 8, welfare, or any reason to believe the property is state or city owned or managed? If so, to any of these, its a great chance you can be compensated.

Second: statute of limitations, you most likely have time to pursue a negligence claim but must check.

Third: be prepared to prove that the apartment water was the reason for legionella. If you traveled to a foreign country or drank public water elsewhere that needs to be known also because what if the pipes test clean in the apt?

Fourth: they may cite your admission of compromised immunity as culprit for normal contamination so beware when filing your claim.

Tina, please make note of the dates on the original threads - necroposting is considered bad form here.

Thanks!

OHRoadwarrior

Trying for four. Please do not necropost. OP has presented no evidence to suggest the apartment was the source. It is likelier the source was a hot tub somewhere.

tinaseals

OHRoadWarrior, Necroposting!? lol that's new to me!!!!

Thanks for the heartwarming welcome warrior. I learned a new word, "necroposting". Actually, speaking to my motive, that is, I am on a cheap cell phone and don't have the "IPad Luxury" of attempting to read the entire thread. I'm interested in legal perspective, period, not "necro" anything.

Proserpina

Thanks for the heartwarming welcome warrior. I learned a new word, "necroposting". Actually, speaking to my motive, that is, I am on a cheap cell phone and don't have the "IPad Luxury" of attempting to read the entire thread. I'm interested in legal perspective, period, not "necro" anything.

Don't use cheap cell phone excuses.

You're welcome!

And for what it's worth, some friendly advice. Stay off family law unless you actually know of what you speak. Because us over there are a tad less tolerant of nonsense-posts than most of the other forums here.

;)

OHRoadwarrior

I suggest in the future you read and absorb the entire thread before posting. You are conveying erroneous information in multiple threads.

quincy

This forum operates best when very old threads are not revived with additional postings. The original poster is generally no longer around and the legal issue addressed in the original post is generally no longer an issue for the original poster. Additional postings tacked onto these dead threads tend to benefit no one.

If you are interested in legal perspective, tina, read all of the old posts you want but try to keep your own post contributions limited to the newer threads. It can also be important to read the whole thread before posting, so that you are armed with all of the facts made available.

Welcome to the forum.

ecmst12

You don't even need to read an entire thread to make note of the DATE on the first post. Though attempting to provide advice based on only skimming isn't very smart either.

LdiJ

Whoa, I just need advice not to be criticized. I do have documentation that the legionella is from the apartment most likely. My number count was with in the range of RECENT exposure and the apartment was the only place I was living and drinking the water from. I have documentation of my blood results and positive testing for the bacteria. You are right that it is not common for people who smoke to develop these problems. But I have only been smoking for two years, and I'm 19 years old, a little young to develop problems from smoking but it is possible. You all may be very right - I may owe the money for breaking the lease. I just wanted some opinions for someone other than those in my own family. I was put through many hospital visits and E.R trips and just need some advice.

I'll take what I can get even if it might not be what I wanted to hear. I need to hear the truth, even if it is "You're whiny and can't sue over this." I'm young, I don't know much about law, and I only know what I went through. Thanks for any help you can give me. =)
What you should have done as soon as your doctor diagnosed you was to call the health department, and you should still do that now. The health department will test the water and if the infection came from the water supply, it will get corrected in one way or another. If the infection came from the water supply then that would also assist you in your case against the landlord as well.

OH HECK...I just realized that this was a necropost...sigh

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">