• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Long term mold exposure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shayz

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Colorado
My family moved into this home 5 years ago. The landlord left a bunch of stuff in this one corner of the basement. A couch and other stuff. So about three years ago it flooded from a window above these items. When we moved the items out of the basement we found mold from the back of the couch down. The landlord admitted to hiding it and promised to take care of it. He came in and dried the carpet but never took care of the surface mold. I have requested everytime I see him to have it fixed. It recently flooded again and we had to remove the carpet because he would not. We could not even stay in the house it smelled so bad. When we pulled the carpet the sheet rock fell apart and is filled with black mold in the studs and the cement of the foundation walls.
He refuses to take care of it and has admitted to knowing about it before we ever moved in.

He even knew my daughter had asthma & that I have terrible allergies. Even with all the times I had mentioned allergy issues with different things he never felt it important to mention the mold.

It has been nearly 3 months since it flooded last he came in and instructed us how to cut out the affected sheet rock ourselves and spray it with bleach but has not been in to fix it.

Is he liable for not telling us and for health issues we have suffered since moving in? What type of liability do I have knowing the mold is here if he rents it without fixing it to someone else and they become ill? Is there anywhere I can report him ie. health department.....

Thank you.

We are working on finding a new place to live is this all we can do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">