• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mold in bathroom

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ndnicks

What is the name of your state? Texas

Since about a month after we moved into our new apartment complex, we've been having terrible leaks in our bathroom ceiling. We would leave a few days and return to find our floor covered in water, inform management, and they would 'fix' the problem. Eventually I began to notice a rank odor and complained even louder to them and the handyman returned, said there was a leak in the upstairs apartment's toilet and 'fixed' the problem.

A night later I saw black stuff spreading over the ceiling where a new leak had begun over the toilet. Luckily the water dripped directly into the toilet, but this created a new problem in itself. They returned, tore out the ceiling, said it was mold, discovered the true root of the problem and fixed it. Apparently, the air conditioning unit of the apartment above us was broken, and leaking directly into ours.
There was no problem for at least a month, until a few days ago when I scrubbed up the bathroom from top to bottom, and was emptying out the laundry from our linen cabinet, to discover all clothing that had been in the bottom of it was now molded black. I immediately began calling the emergency maintenance line but no one would return my call.

This happened Sunday. There was no foul odor in the bathroom, so I decided it wouldn't hurt to wait until I returned from work two days later to call the apartment manager office and continue to try again. While away, I did continue to try to call maintenance emergency, but never was contacted.

When we returned home from work Tuesday evening, we discovered a terrible foul odor in the bathroom, like an animal had DIED in there, or someone's toilet had erupted. Turns out the mold has been growing. Wednesday morning my husband contacted the manager office immediatley upon their opening and they said they would handle it. No one came. We both awakened with a terrible sore throat and breathing problems. I appear to have the worst of it because of existing breathing problems. We have no where else to go, and I worry that my son will also get sick.

Today, after calling again and complaining again, someone finally came out to look, lthough the manager told me they'd "been busy fixing someone's broken stove." How can a stove be more important than mold that's poisoning a family.

If our sickness worsens, or the problem is not fixed, what action can be taken against the building?

HomeGuru

ndnicks said:
What is the name of your state? Texas

Since about a month after we moved into our new apartment complex, we've been having terrible leaks in our bathroom ceiling. We would leave a few days and return to find our floor covered in water, inform management, and they would 'fix' the problem. Eventually I began to notice a rank odor and complained even louder to them and the handyman returned, said there was a leak in the upstairs apartment's toilet and 'fixed' the problem.

A night later I saw black stuff spreading over the ceiling where a new leak had begun over the toilet. Luckily the water dripped directly into the toilet, but this created a new problem in itself. They returned, tore out the ceiling, said it was mold, discovered the true root of the problem and fixed it. Apparently, the air conditioning unit of the apartment above us was broken, and leaking directly into ours.
There was no problem for at least a month, until a few days ago when I scrubbed up the bathroom from top to bottom, and was emptying out the laundry from our linen cabinet, to discover all clothing that had been in the bottom of it was now molded black. I immediately began calling the emergency maintenance line but no one would return my call.

This happened Sunday. There was no foul odor in the bathroom, so I decided it wouldn't hurt to wait until I returned from work two days later to call the apartment manager office and continue to try again. While away, I did continue to try to call maintenance emergency, but never was contacted.

When we returned home from work Tuesday evening, we discovered a terrible foul odor in the bathroom, like an animal had DIED in there, or someone's toilet had erupted. Turns out the mold has been growing. Wednesday morning my husband contacted the manager office immediatley upon their opening and they said they would handle it. No one came. We both awakened with a terrible sore throat and breathing problems. I appear to have the worst of it because of existing breathing problems. We have no where else to go, and I worry that my son will also get sick.

Today, after calling again and complaining again, someone finally came out to look, lthough the manager told me they'd "been busy fixing someone's broken stove." How can a stove be more important than mold that's poisoning a family.

If our sickness worsens, or the problem is not fixed, what action can be taken against the building?
**A: post in the Landlord Tenant forum.

You need to hire a professional mold inspector IMMIDIATELY. Inform your landlord you're hiring him and that you'll deduct their costs from your rent because they have not cured the problem. Keep documents of EVERYTHING, right down to your conversations, what was said, and the time of day. Look into your state's statutes regarding landlord tenant law and see what it says about withholding rent while the premises has a health hazard. Many states say you don't have to pay the full amount of rent in this case. See a doctor about your symptoms, and make sure they document everything. You can also have testing done on yourself for mold allergies. Most importantly, you want the mold inspector to be working for YOU not your landlord. When the inspection and mold testing is complete, give a copy of the results to the landlord and give them the bill. Tell them if they don't hire a company that is experienced in mold removal, you will, and you'll also deduct or sue for those costs. You also may have a right to move out because you are being burdened by your illnesses and the time it is taking for them to "fix" the problems is creating undue hardship. Also, file complaints with your state's consumer protection agency, housing department, building/health inspectors, ANYONE who can help. Any more questions, call an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">