• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mold discovered in UponTheWaters' rental unit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma

A poster with the user name UponTheWaters created a thread about the discovery of mold in a long-time rental unit ("Confirmed Stachybotrys in rental. Lost everything. Recourse"). Neither the landlord's insurance nor UponTheWaters' insurance covers mold damage. UponTheWaters moved from the unit and threw away all personal belongings (furniture, clothing) due to real or perceived mold contamination and is now looking to be compensated for this loss. UponTheWaters wanted to know what legal recourse was available.

Many of the forum volunteers contributed their time and their knowledge to that thread, so it is disappointing to see that UponTheWaters deleted it all.

I hope the other forum volunteers will once again provide the information they provided once before. It was good information and can be helpful to others who visit this site.

I will quote (once again) from the Tulsa, Oklahoma, Health Department's website: "Currently, the Tulsa Health Department is unaware of any federal, state or local environmental or health regulations regarding mold contamination. As such, neither the THD, the Department of Environmental Quality, nor the Environmental Protection Agency can require a building or property owner to remediate mold problems."

The Tulsa Health Department website, http://www.tulsa-health.org/environmental-health/mold-info, also provides links to a Mold Fact Sheet and the CDC's mold website.

I saw no legal action available for UponTheWaters to pursue.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">