• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mold In The Home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

vamp124

The home that I have lived in for 14 years has in the last 5 years been forming mold in the basement from a leak, and also in my bedroom window this is a rented home, and I can't get a hold of my landlord to save my life what are my rights in this matter? Can any one help me?
I am from Maryland

HomeGuru

vamp124 said:
The home that I have lived in for 14 years has in the last 5 years been forming mold in the basement from a leak, and also in my bedroom window this is a rented home, and I can't get a hold of my landlord to save my life what are my rights in this matter? Can any one help me?
I am from Maryland

**A: it appears that you will die then before getting ahold of your landlord.
Where do you pay rent? Have you heard of writing a letter and sending it certified rrr mail? There is no address of L on the lease? Did you read the Maryland L/T law?

Last edited:

seniorjudge

vamp124 said:
I am from Maryland
Go to Wal-Mart and get some Lysol spray.

vamp124

Hahaha!!

You people are really funny if this is the kind of help that you give never mind! And HomeGuru I have sent certified mail to the landlord, and it has been signed for by someone in the household, and I send my rent with my checks, and they don't cash them so now what do you have to say!!!

seniorjudge

vamp124 said:
You people are really funny if this is the kind of help that you give never mind! And HomeGuru I have sent certified mail to the landlord, and it has been signed for by someone in the household, and I send my rent with my checks, and they don't cash them so now what do you have to say!!!
Funny? That Lysol spray is great! That is no joke, sister.

T

Trucking Mad

vamp124 said:
I am from Maryland
:cool: The Landlord should take care of your leaky basement and clean the mold, afterall they own the property..As far as getting ahold of them, call missing person (?)..or hire an detective to track them down (?).. Go to the add. you mail your rent check to (?):cool:

My Two Cents

you've stated that they're not cashing the rent payments. I'd have the bank cancel those checks and use that money to hire a professional to come in and fix the problem. Then if the landlord asks why you stopped the checks... give him the bill and tell him that since he was being neglegent in the maintenance of his property, you used the rent money to fix it for him.

HomeGuru

OHgurl2002 said:
you've stated that they're not cashing the rent payments. I'd have the bank cancel those checks and use that money to hire a professional to come in and fix the problem. Then if the landlord asks why you stopped the checks... give him the bill and tell him that since he was being neglegent in the maintenance of his property, you used the rent money to fix it for him.

**A: will that method stand up in court?

ENASNI

OHgurl2002 said:

Best be careful with this advice. By cancelling the checks you could be wrongfully witholding rent.

IF you are going to do any kind of repair and deduct, do it by the rules of your state.
http://www.peoples-law.org/housing/ltenant/llt.html

helpus

Danger Danger Danger

You need to contact your state and county Department Of Environmental Health Services Department..I have experienced the same problem with mold and have been very sick..I was on antibiotics and still take asthma medication..I was wheezing,headaches,diarrhea,I was tired all the time etc..Actually I thought I was dying I felt so bad..
My problem here in North Carolina is that I live in the county and only the city provides testing..so,I have to pay for testing with an outside company Which costs over $200.00..I was renting a home that has a water problem..There is mold growing on windows,closets,carpet and destroyed my furniture and clothing.I tried washing my clothes but the smell lingers and just being around it sends me into an attack..My cat also was affected and had to go to the vet.and was treated for an upper respiratory infection..Mold is deadly and doesn't get any better until the source is found..I had to move and throw away my bed,couch and other furniture that couldn't be cleaned..I hope this helps..

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">