• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Moldy Apartment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Kweb18

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

Hello,

I'm going to keep this story as short as possible because its been a long line of events:

I'm renting an apartment. A couple months into the lease I wake up and there is water everywhere in the apt. Under the carpet on the floor in the kitchen....everywhere. At first I thought it was the rain getting in somehow because it had rained a bunch the night before. I call the landlord the moment I notice the water and she says OK they will send someone out. Nobody comes...I call everyday a week straight...nobody comes out. Finally I CA and freak out because now it's starting to smell moldy. At last they send someone out and he looks around and isn't sure where the water came from. He says he will be back tomorrow with a carpet cleaner to clean the carpet that is now smelling pretty bad. He never comes the next day. I give up and call the city building inspector. They call my landlord and the same day she comes out (imagine that).

She cleans the carpet with a carpet cleaner and it does improve the smell...but as I explained to her that water was there for almost a month..there's gotta be mold hiding out under the carpet or something. She disagrees.

A few days later there's MORE water in my apartment again! I open my closet with the hot water heater and there is mold all up abd down the walls. I don't even call her this time I call the city building inspector and they get her out there the same day again. They discover my neighbor above us had a hot water heating that was leaking down into my apt. That was where the water was coming from. So they replace the leaky hot water heater and tell me they will be back tomorrow to clean up all the mold in my apt.

That was the last contact I have had with them. That was over 3 months ago. If you could guess...they never came out to clean up the mold. I gave up...called the building inspector again and they said since the leak is fixed that is all they have authority over. So I never heard back from my landlord about cleaning up all this mold in my apt. I gave up trying to get them out there cause they always just blow me off...so I just don't pay rent. I figured that would get her attention but its been 3 months I haven't paid rent and haven't heard a thing from the landlord. I've been trying myself to combat the mold with bleach but it just keeps coming back. It's probably in the walls and under the carpet.

I haven't even been staying there cause I'm very sensitive to mold and I start to feel sick after staying there for a few days. So pretty much I'm just waiting for them to come for their rent money but it still hasn't happened yet. Should I give in and call them finally? What would you guys do in my situation?

Thanks for any advice I really appreciate it :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">