• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mom and children exposed to hasardous conditions by landlord and contractors

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sherbear3

Not buying the everybody in the house is so greatly affected by the drywall dust. It causes short term, very short term issues. Drink some water. flush your sinuses with a Neti pot if you are having some issues. I work in construction and am around drywall dust quite regularly. I know a lot of drywall tapers/finishers (those are the guys that make all the dust). It is for the most part not a big deal. I can understand with the asthmatic child as they react very differently than a healthy person so I will not discount how he was affected.

but here is what you do:

wash clothes, curtains, and anything else that is soft and cab be washed. You clean the home just as you would when you have dust. Shampoo carpets if you feel the need., Then you will have no drywall dust to worry about.

since it appears money is tight and transporting the clothing and such to the laundromat so here is what you do:

take the clothes, bedding, whatever, walk outside with it and shake it in the air to remove most of the dust. Shake until it quits giving off dust.

actually toilets DO mount to the pipe under them and may or may not sit firmly on the floor. .

Actually that is how you install a toilet. You use, strangely enough; closet (as in water closet, an old time name for a toilet) shims. They are made specifically for exactly what you describe. The toilet very often does set on the pipe and not reach the floor. You shim the fixture to prevent it from rocking.
(^^that is your suggestion? Really? Shaking out the dust doesn't mysteriously make everything clean again) (glad you weren't buying cuz nobody was trying to sell you anything. All I've stated is facts and considering I'm the one living it I guess I'd know those facts best huh. Google the effects. Depending on which compound they use the minerals and particles thrown into the air and inhaled during the drywalling process causes swollen membranes in your sinuses and lungs. It also causes increased phlegm production. It wasn't as bad for all of us as it was for my 6 year old son but trust me when I say....it was bad.)

Just Blue

(^^that is your suggestion? Really? Shaking out the dust doesn't mysteriously make everything clean again) (glad you weren't buying cuz nobody was trying to sell you anything. All I've stated is facts and considering I'm the one living it I guess I'd know those facts best huh. Google the effects. Depending on which compound they use the minerals and particles thrown into the air and inhaled during the drywalling process causes swollen membranes in your sinuses and lungs. It also causes increased phlegm production. It wasn't as bad for all of us as it was for my 6 year old son but trust me when I say....it was bad.)
One has to wonder why you continually submit your children to this situation. :rolleyes:

justalayman

Yes, that is my suggestion: CLEAN THE PLACE.

The cdc seems to disagree with you;

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/99-113/

The bulk of the dust is gypsum aka chalk. If you don't want to clean, then you live with dust. Use a vacuum with a hepa filter. Wash everything that can be washed. Shake out things.

I can assure you I have been around much more dust from drywall in the last year than you will likely be exposed to in your entire life. When my eyes get dry; I flush them. I use a neti pot to flush my sinuses. Your body is quite adept at taking care of itself.

I will agree with the 3" of shims being excessive but since you want to claim you are so familiar with construction you would know that you would not build up a floor 3". When people were saying to either build up the floor or cut down the pipe, well, it's ridiculous to even suggest it be raised 3" so I figured somebody that knows something about construction would know you don't raise a floor 3".

But yes, in the end you do have a choice; cleaning. It's fricken dust.

OHRoadwarrior

Contrary to your belief, people remodel their homes and live in them while doing so. Seems like you won your eviction and received a remodel without the landlord declaring the home uninhabitable which appears to be what you wanted. Once the work is done, you need to clean up just like you live there.

sherbear3

Contrary to your belief, people remodel their homes and live in them while doing so. Seems like you won your eviction and received a remodel without the landlord declaring the home uninhabitable which appears to be what you wanted. Once the work is done, you need to clean up just like you live there.
My home stays clean! OCD is a b@$%h. I wish I could upload pictures of the mess they left behind.

sherbear3

Yes, that is my suggestion: CLEAN THE PLACE.

The cdc seems to disagree with you;

http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/docs/99-113/

The bulk of the dust is gypsum aka chalk. If you don't want to clean, then you live with dust. Use a vacuum with a hepa filter. Wash everything that can be washed. Shake out things.

I can assure you I have been around much more dust from drywall in the last year than you will likely be exposed to in your entire life. When my eyes get dry; I flush them. I use a neti pot to flush my sinuses. Your body is quite adept at taking care of itself.

I will agree with the 3" of shims being excessive but since you want to claim you are so familiar with construction you would know that you would not build up a floor 3". When people were saying to either build up the floor or cut down the pipe, well, it's ridiculous to even suggest it be raised 3" so I figured somebody that knows something about construction would know you don't raise a floor 3".

But yes, in the end you do have a choice; cleaning. It's fricken dust.
You sound so ignorant. Smh. When the "chalk dust" gives your child DOCUMENTED BY DR'S PAPERS PNEUMONIA AND COATS AND KILLS EVERY LEAF OF EVERY PLANT IN YOUR HOUSE.....it's not just "harmless chalk dust".

sherbear3

It seems you need to clean it up rather than take pictures.
Wow there is something wrong with you people. Helllloooo...when someone injures you...ie; hits your car, punches your face, breaks your belonging or DESTROYS your home and the majority of your belongings.....of course you're supposed to take pictures before you clean it up....how else do you get proof? Can't clean it up, not take pictures, then blame with no evidence!

sherbear3

I agree...people do. I've done it. I've lived with plastic for walls while having a house remodeled growing up. The difference is that my family members and old landlords did it correctly and protected us accordingly.

Silverplum

You sound so ignorant. Smh. When the "chalk dust" gives your child DOCUMENTED BY DR'S PAPERS PNEUMONIA AND COATS AND KILLS EVERY LEAF OF EVERY PLANT IN YOUR HOUSE.....it's not just "harmless chalk dust".
"Ignorant" is in the eyes of the beholders. We probably see you as you see us.

sherbear3

"Ignorant" is in the eyes of the beholders. We probably see you as you see us.
But let it have been your child, your home and your possessions that were injured and destroyed I bet you'd be singing a different tune. Your ignorance on real life poverty is predictable....most people are ignorant to it til they live it.

Silverplum

But let it have been your child, your home and your possessions that were injured and destroyed I bet you'd be singing a different tune. Your ignorance on real life poverty is predictable....most people are ignorant to it til they live it.
Alrighty.

Just Blue

LEAVE! Just go. Find a new place. If, per your postings, your child/ren are having health issues and you don't get them out of there...YOU are guilty of abuse.

justalayman

You sound so lazy.

Gypsum is a soft sulfate mineral composed of calcium sulfate dihydrate, with the chemical formula CaSO. 4· 2H2O. It is widely mined and is used as a fertilizer, and as the main constituent in many forms of plaster, blackboard chalk and wallboard.
If you failed to wash your plants; shame on you. If they died it's because of you. The funny thing about this is all it takes is a damp towel to clean the dust from any hard surface and a good vacuum with a hepa filter to clean soft surfaces. You launder clothes, bedding, whatever. Once you do that, since the work is over, it's done.

It sounds like you want to complain about something rather than doing what it takes to remedy the situation. Clean the stuff up. It really is that simple.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">