• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Monsanto and Cerro Class Action Lawsuit

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Moro

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Illinois

There was a class action lawsuit against Monsanto and Cerro for poisoning the air around the East St. Louis, Cahokia, and Sauget, Illinois areas. They said that the case was settled but I cannot find any documentation about it. I know it was because of these companies that I have all of my health problems today (mostly breathing problems). If I cannot get in on the class action lawsuit would there be anyway I could sue them myself?

According to an acquaintance of mine he told me that they sent out letters about the lawsuit and how to properly fill it out. From what I have found out is that very few people in the area actually received this paperwork. I feel like the areas were poorly represented and would there be anyway to sue? Most of the people in the area have breathing problems so it would not only help out me but tons of people who could use the money for health bills.

Just Blue

There was a class action lawsuit against Monsanto and Cerro for poisoning the air around the East St. Louis, Cahokia, and Sauget, Illinois areas. They said that the case was settled but I cannot find any documentation about it. I know it was because of these companies that I have all of my health problems today (mostly breathing problems). If I cannot get in on the class action lawsuit would there be anyway I could sue them myself?

According to an acquaintance of mine he told me that they sent out letters about the lawsuit and how to properly fill it out. From what I have found out is that very few people in the area actually received this paperwork. I feel like the areas were poorly represented and would there be anyway to sue? Most of the people in the area have breathing problems so it would not only help out me but tons of people who could use the money for health bills.
You should visit an attorney to find out your options.

Moro

I was able to find the lawyers that were representing the people for my area, their office was closed before I could talk to them.

quincy

You can sue Monsanto and/or Cerro Flow yourself if you were not identified as a plaintiff in one of the class action suits (of which there have been many) and you were not notified of the suits.

To what exactly do you attribute your health issues?

Moro

Well my nephew and I developed asthma while living in Cahokia, my mother developed a mysterious breast cancer, I also have sleep apnea and an unknown condition where I lose all functions to breathe for a few seconds where I have to force myself to breathe. The last one is odd and only my mother and I developed it randomly.

quincy

Well my nephew and I developed asthma while living in Cahokia, my mother developed a mysterious breast cancer, I also have sleep apnea and an unknown condition where I lose all functions to breathe for a few seconds where I have to force myself to breathe. The last one is odd and only my mother and I developed it randomly.
I only briefly reviewed the lawsuits against Monsanto and Cerro but the ailments that seem to have some connection to Monsanto and Cerro Flow are different than those you describe. But, again, my research was brief.

What you might want to do is have a doctor in your area evaluate your family's medical problems in terms of your environment to determine if Monsanto toxins can be the cause, this after you call on Monday the attorney handling whatever class action against Monsanto he happens to be handling.

Proserpina

By all means, pursue it further - but I seriously doubt you'd ever be able to prove a link to breast cancer and the fact that several family members seem to suffer from similar breathing issues may indeed suggest a familial, not random, link.

Good luck.

Moro

I was the first person ever in my family's bloodline to get asthma. I wasn't born with it either. It developed when I was 8 and it developed in my nephew when he was about 3.

quincy

I was the first person ever in my family's bloodline to get asthma. I wasn't born with it either. It developed when I was 8 and it developed in my nephew when he was about 3.
Well, there is no question that Monsanto and Cerro Flow have polluted the environment, and people living in certain areas of the country have developed ailments that can be attributed to these pollutants, and both Monsanto and Cerro Flow have been sued as a result.

Whether the medical issues your family members are experiencing can be directly connected to this pollution, however, is a question you will need to explore with your doctor and, depending on his evaluation, with an attorney in your area (or with the attorney handling the class action suit).

Unfortunately, a legal forum is not a very good place to address medical problems or some legal problems. The most any of us can tell you is that Monsanto and Cerro Flow have been sued in the past and litigation continues. There is the possibility that you might have a legal action to pursue against them. To determine whether you do or don't requires personal evaluations that we cannot do here.

Sorry.

Good luck to you and your family.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">