• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

neighbor is burning copper wire

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state? new mexico
on at least four separate occasions my neighbor has been burning copper wire to burn the plastic coating off. I have repeatedly asked him not to do this. He thinks it is funny or something. I believe that this is a federal offense but I can not seem to find an agency to complain to. The local codes enforcement does not really respond around here.
What about a civil lawsuit. This guy has no brain, but he does own his own house. Basically I want him stop stop burning toxic things. But I really want him to get in trouble in the strongest legal manner possible. thanks

fairisfair

do you live in the city? there should be ordinances against burning...

If you live in a rural area..it is possible that he is within his rights.

mike_lee

Since copper has a 2000 degree melting point It's just plastic or enamal burning which is not toxic (unless you're standing directly over the fire huffing the fumes.) If the smell is bothering you maybe you could suggest to your neighbor that he could burn when the wind is blowing away from your home, or when you are not at home.

Have you considered he might be stealing copper wire from the railroad. If you were to call the sheriff and mention someone is burning the casing off copper wire that might be of interest

rowz

Helo Mike: so....if I read your post correct the question does arise: "is the burning of the insulation of legally owned copper wire allowed?.

justalayman

I do not believe it makes any difference as to the legality of the ownership of the wire.

Since there appears to be no local restrictions, call the EPA and ask them if they are interested. I suspect they will not be.

Beanie711

I don't see why he doesn't just strip the plastic coating off. It would be much easier and it's what most tradesmen do.

I am also curious as to where he is getting all of this copper from. With the price rising constantly, I would definitely keep an ear out for thefts in the area. Not too long ago, someone stole $35,000 worth of copper from a jobsite. It didn't amount to a whole lot of copper, but it's pretty pricey when you add it up.

As far as the legality of the burning, I would maybe call the city office and see if there are any local ordinances. Other than that, I wouldn't think there is any problem.

justalayman

$35,000 worth of copper from a jobsite. It didn't amount to a whole lot of copper, but it's pretty pricey when you add it up.
at current scrap value, that would be around 5 or 6 TONS of wire.

That is a lot of wire.

Obviously wire on a reel is worth more so it would not be nearly as much but he has to be able to sell it to somebody to realize that value.

Beanie711

I apologize. I mean, the copper was bought for $35,000, still on the reel. They hadn't even had a chance to use it yet, and it was stolen. I didn't mean the scrap value. :)

justalayman

I apologize. I mean, the copper was bought for $35,000, still on the reel. They hadn't even had a chance to use it yet, and it was stolen. I didn't mean the scrap value. :)
I figured that.

haven't checked prices lately but last time I had a price for 500mcm, $35000 would by over 3000 feet of 500mcm. That is still a lot of wire. 3000 feet (about 3750 lbs.) of 500 mcm would be more than $12,000 at scrap value.

Idori

If there is a burn ban in effect you could call the cops on him for that. Some places, like where I'm at, enforce those very strictly.

If asking nicely doesn't work and he's continuing to do it. You could report him as a nuisance.

You can make a noise complaint why not for smoke? Tell them he doesn't seem very bright and you don't know if he is safely handling his fire.

The attention might be enough to embarrass him into stopping. Or you'd just have a POed, irritating neighbor with a grudge.

The only other option that might do you some good is to go over and offer to help. Make him your new pal. Once hes done burning it and has moved on maybe you can have him over for a BBQ and he won't be such a jack***.

mike_lee

Wow, Ozark you need to go on one of those game shows. I have lots of tidbits tucked away in my brain but they're useless things like Spanish Moss is neither Spanish nor moss/ If they built an interstate highway between America and Asia how many hours would it take to reach Asia?

the answer is one hour. Starting in Alaska cross 60 miles of Bering straits and you end up in Siberia. And indeed there are plans to build a tunnel that will connect Asia and America by rail and road. The Bering Stright Tunnel

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">