• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Neighbor's smoking making me sick

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paguy1

Hi, I live in Pennsylvania in an apartment building. The floors are really thin, so the smoke from my neighbors enters into my room and causes me to feel ill. I have had the landlord contact the neighbor multiple times and they continue to smoke. What can I do about this? I don't want to move out and I don't want to get in a confrontation with the neighbor.

I_Got_Banned

Hi, I live in Pennsylvania in an apartment building. The floors are really thin, so the smoke from my neighbors enters into my room and causes me to feel ill.
I thought I have heard it all.... Well until I heard this... Now I know I have... :rolleyes:
I have had the landlord contact the neighbor multiple times and they continue to smoke.
Oh my God, how dare they continue to smoke in the privacy of their own home!!!!!!
Get real, will ya... :mad:
If the floors are thin enough where you can actually smell somking in the unit below you then I would venture to guess that you are at risk of falling through to the neighbors apartment. If I were you, I would request... the heck with requesting, I would DEMAND that the landlord do something about the floors instead of wasting his time trying to accomodate you by asking the neighbors to stop doing something thart they are entitled to doing by their own choice.
My guess is that he has not told them a single thing.
What can I do about this?
Whether you want to or not moving out "IS" the first, wisest and quite possibly the ONLY choice on your options list...
I don't want to move out and I don't want to get in a confrontation with the neighbor.
Well, you can't have it both ways...
Actually, ..., I know... They say smokers, and because their sensory cells are saturated by smell of smoke, they are not as bothered by it. So there you go... Start smoking and it won't bother you as much!!!

Quit expecting people to cater to your unrealistic wants & needs.

wyett717

If the building/landlord permits smoking, there is nothing you can do legally. You can talk to the neighbors, but prepare for it not to go in your favor. You could also move to a new, non-smoking building.

shannonups

This is for "I Got Banned". Your responce to this post made me laugh so loud I almost woke up my hubby. Very wity, thanks for the giggles!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">