• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

19 yr old independence

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

Leo

In the state of New York, what is the age at which a parent is no longer legally responsible for a child? I have a daughter, 19 that is living with her boyfriend and his parents, that wants me to support her medical insurance through court order of the state. My insurance has no provision for a child past 18, not living at home, or a full time student. She gave us a state form, LDSS-2860 to fill out. It is titled "Child Support Enforcement Referral". I don't like the looks of this form, it appears to me to be a court ordered wage attachment form of some type. I would appreciate any help regarding this form, or of it's applicability to this situation. Thank You.
[email protected]

P

peter

I would say you are right 18, period! Unless in your divorce settlement it says 21.

------------------

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leo:
In the state of New York, what is the age at which a parent is no longer legally responsible for a child? I have a daughter, 19 that is living with her boyfriend and his parents, that wants me to support her medical insurance through court order of the state. My insurance has no provision for a child past 18, not living at home, or a full time student. She gave us a state form, LDSS-2860 to fill out. It is titled "Child Support Enforcement Referral". I don't like the looks of this form, it appears to me to be a court ordered wage attachment form of some type. I would appreciate any help regarding this form, or of it's applicability to this situation. Thank You.
[email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Leo:
[email protected]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Do not fill in that form. If they want any money, let them file court action. She is 19 and living with a boyfriend away from the bio parents home, you are not responsible for her. Let them take you to court if they feel otherwise.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">