• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

50/50 Medical Expenses

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

candi463

My brother's ex wife and him made a verbal agreement about 2 years ago that if he helped his daughter buy a car she would call it even on some medical expenses. After these years have gone by she is now hollering for the money and telling him she never made that agreement. Is there anything he can do about this? Is there anything SHE can do about this? The bills are probably somewhere around $500. He has paid bills before these and after these. The only ones he has not paid are the ones they supposedly had the agreement on. They have just gone back to court to modify the child support but this judge doesn't do anything about medical expenses. Can she do anything now?

LegalBeagle

Is it not common sense to have agreements in writing and to know that verbal agreements are more often than not, worthless ??

Anyway, what does the original court order state ?

C

candi463

Oh yes it is common sense, but I guess he still trusted her at the time he did this. Which he has learned his lesson the hard way. The original court order does state that they split medical expenses 50/50. I don't know however it would be worth her hiring an attorney for $500 in expenses that he owes her.

LegalBeagle

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by candi463:
Oh yes it is common sense, but I guess he still trusted her at the time he did this. Which he has learned his lesson the hard way. The original court order does state that they split medical expenses 50/50. I don't know however it would be worth her hiring an attorney for $500 in expenses that he owes her.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

And that is the key to your answer. Any case involving an attorney is min 3 hours. Which is at least $500. However, some people do it anyway because they are greedy or have so much hate inside. And a succesful petition can see her be awarded all her fees back.

He has a choice.. pay up so get her off his back.. it refuse and wait for her next move. In the event that he gets served for an order to show cause, then he can either fight it based on a verbal agreement or just pay her at that point...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">