• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Abandoned property left by live in boyfriend

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mramirez

I had a live in boyfriend for 9 months. He has left quite a bit of personal belongings behind including a massive collection of sports cards worth a substantial amount of money. He left 4 months ago and I have made numerous attempts to meet with him. He owes me money and I am willing to work with him to get this settled. We have made 3 appointments, none of which he has shown up for. I am wondering if I am now the owner of these cards and other property because of the amount of time that has lapsed and also because of the numerous attempts I have made to meet with him. He was never on the lease, but he continues to recieve mail here. He has never forwarded his mail to his new address. Also, if I am now the owner of this property, does the value of the cards suggest payment of the debt he owes me or I am still free to seek a civil action in small claims court? Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">