+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 2 of 2
  1. #1
    bperk Guest


    Whomever you are,
    I am trying to help a friend at work with a problem he has. His Mother-In-Law wants to donate her house and property to his wife, of course her daughter. We need to know how to do this legally as not to have to pay enormous taxes. How to keep the state from seizing the property to pay for nursing home care, if and when she is admitted to continueous health care at a nursing facility. Louisiana says you must do the Act of Donation 33 months before they enter the nursing facility. Otherwise the State of Louisiana will seize all assets to pay for the care your parent will receive over their stay. What if she only lives for a few months, as she is quite elderly. The state comes out smelling like a rose. Their parent loses everything both parents had worked for all their lives. Do you have a way to handle this for them both to come out in a positive financial outlook?

  2. #2
    LegalBeagle is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2000
    The 'Katherine Harris' Appreciation State.


    Try reposting this in the real estate board.. there is a regular attorney there who will help you more than most people her can.. Good luck..

Similar Threads

  1. POA, real estate donation
    By lisa982 in forum Elder Law, Powers of Attorney, Living Wills (Advance Health Care Directives)
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 10:47 PM
  2. Act of Donation of real estate in Alabama
    By wcb0020 in forum Condos and Co-Ops
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-02-2008, 11:22 AM
  3. Real Estate Law re: Parent dies intestate
    By Regina413 in forum Other Real Estate Law Questions
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-07-2008, 02:50 PM
  4. Deduction on Donation of Real Property
    By lipepe in forum Tax Law
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 11:09 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

© 1995-2012 Advice Company, All Rights Reserved

FreeAdvice® has been providing millions of consumers with outstanding advice, free, since 1995. While not a substitute for personal advice from a licensed professional, it is available AS IS, subject to our Disclaimer and Terms & Conditions Of Use.