• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ADOPTION

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

W

WylieARunner

What legal right does a 16-yr-old girl have concerning making decisions about an unplanned pregnancy? My niece, who resides in SC with her father, is pregnant. She has asked my husband and I to adopt the baby upon birth (she does not believe abortion is the answer for her). Her father is trying to force her to have, keep, and raise the baby. Does she have the right to decide to put the baby up for adoption ... or must she obtain consent from her father?

MySonsMom

I'm pretty sure that she can make that decision for herself, since it is her baby. Now, where is the Father of the child in all of this; because he can have an influence on where the baby goes.

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

W

WylieARunner

The father of the baby has not contacted my neice since she told him of the pregnancy ... she is sure that he will sign the adoption papers also.

MySonsMom

Then I am pretty sure that she can do what she chooses to do about the child.

------------------
*There is no love, like the unconditional love of a Mother*

-I am not an Attorney, any advice given is strictly advice-

M

Mysta

Just to add some personal experience, since I am not a lawyer and the closest I can say I come to lawyer stuff is watching a few episodes of LA Law. :)

When I chose to adopt out the child I had at age 16, my parents did not have anything really to do with all the paperwork and legal things I had to do. It is her child, and her choice.

I'm sorry that she has to go through all this, but if she ever needs anyone to talk to, I have been through it and she can email me.

------------------
Kathy and the Parker Boys

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">