• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

after 5 years am I entitled....

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

U

upset ex

I was in a relationship with a guy for 5 years.which we lived togather these whole 5 years. When we got together neither of us had anything. We bought a house but my name is not on it. The deal was his parents put ten thousand dollars down and would not allow my name to be on it if they were going to do this. They wanted it to be only for there son. I did not like this idea and said we should do it ourselves because if we were buying it togather I wanted my name on it.He promised me that after the closing that he would marry me, and half the house would be mine, so I agreed to let it happen this way. We had been engaged for 3 1/2 years already so I thought no big deal. As it goes he did not marry me and had no intention.The other thing is in order to get the house his bad credit had to be payed off so, I used my money from my tax return and payed his bad depts so we could get the house. I also did all the leg work for 3 months with the morgage company all he ever did was sign at the closing.That was acually the first time he ever spoke to the morgage company.At the time of our break up I moved out and he agreed to make the payments on my car as like my payoff for leaving the house.As again he never did.I have a bunch of credit cards which are all in my name and the depts on them were aquired during our five years together and he will not help me pay nothing on them. He kept the home and everything in it,he did let me take my clothes,and says I have no right to nothing because nothing is in my name and he is not going to pay nothing. I have tryed to work things out but he just says he is not doing nothing.Is there anything I can do with nothing in my name.

R

Ronne

It sounds like this individual really took advantage of you. I'm sorry, but if there is debt in your name alone, you are responsible for the debt. If your name is not on the house, you have no interest in the home.
I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, and they are welcome to do so.

T

Tigres

Depending on the state, cohabitating for 5 years with the intention of marriage could be a common law marriage. In which case, you might be entitled to something if you have everything documented as to what money went where.

Suggestion: Post your question again with the state information.

Make a detailed account of what was spent where and on what and search your email and whatever notes you've saved to see if he has put anything into writing. It's possible you could still sue for some sort of reimbursement on bills that you have paid or bills that he has generated.

Good luck!

Tig
:cool:

------------------
I am not a lawyer. Any information relayed is merely my own experience or research.
WARNING: I HAVE AN ATTITUDE AND I KNOW HOW TO USE IT.

"PRINCESS, HAVING HAD SUFFICIENT EXPERIENCE WITH PRINCES,SEEKS FROG."

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">