• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Age limit on child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

RoxLeon

My stepson turned 18 and graduated from high school this June. In the State of Virginia is my husband responsible for continuing child support payments? We have never been allowed to participate in this young man's life because his mother refused to accept me as the "new wife". My husband has always paid his support on time. What are our options?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RoxLeon:
My stepson turned 18 and graduated from high school this June. In the State of Virginia is my husband responsible for continuing child support payments? We have never been allowed to participate in this young man's life because his mother refused to accept me as the "new wife". My husband has always paid his support on time. What are our options?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

Check your court orders re: child support. If there's no agreement to pay support up to age 21, while he's a full time college student, you're home clear. No more payments.

Insofar as the bio-mom is concerned, you can tell her to "bite rocks." The kid is now officially an adult, and can make decisions for himself who he wants in and out of his life. The decision is no longer Mom's. Any child or young adult is made better by as many people who love them as possible. Love him to death. Go crazy and celebrate, both yours and his "day of deliverance."

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by RoxLeon:
We have never been allowed to participate in this young man's life because his mother refused to accept me as the "new wife".<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do not understand this.. not that it matters now.. but providing neither you or the father are known drug dealers or abused the child (or any type of abuse) then you would have been able to get visitation and even get it enforced should the bio mum refuse.

Unless there is something missing, then failure to participate would have been your decision ???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">