• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony Forever?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

minann

Due to a court order from California, we have been paying my husband's ex substantial alimony for over 14 years. Her lifestyle is better than it was when they were married (boyfriend is very well-to-do, etc.) Plus, she is working full time now. The divorce was obtained in California and we live in Texas. What would happen if we just stop paying? Does Texas have a reciprocal agreement with California on Alimony when no child support is involved?

C

Carol40

I understand what you are going through trust me, my husband and i have been battling the same thing and we are in Maryland.My advice not that i am a lawyer or have any legal training but i dont think you can just stop paying if you do your husband would be in court from his ex wife.I'd look at the divorce decree see what it says,How long does he have to pay? Does it state anything about a increase in her income? Or if she cohabitates? Ask a lawyer his or her advice most lawyers have a free consultation for your first visit and at least it'll give you some idea about the alimony if it can be stopped or not.I know what you are going through i hate writting out that checks every week to.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">