• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alimony / Remarriage

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

G

gordo99

My ex is exchanging vows with her partner tomorrow and they will not have a marriage license. They have purchased a home and will be living together as partners. I currently pay alimony and absent the license am I still legally required to pay alimony?

Maryland

[This message has been edited by gordo99 (edited July 22, 2000).]

P

paula2

I'm sure about your state, but some states if there is a live in boy friend or girlfriend they will consider that person is paying half the expenses and will either terminate or decrease the amount of alimony.

G

gordo99

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paula2:
I'm sure about your state, but some states if there is a live in boy friend or girlfriend they will consider that person is paying half the expenses and will either terminate or decrease the amount of alimony.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

You stated you were sure about my state. Sure that alimony cannot be terminated or decreased?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gordo99:
You stated you were sure about my state. Sure that alimony cannot be terminated or decreased?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I'm only guessing, and I'm sure Paula will clarify, but I think that she mistyped and probably forgot to include the word "not".

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

P

paula2

IAAL, you're right, a typo error. I meant to say I am NOT sure about your state since you didn't specify what state you live in. But I'm sure if you specify your state, IAAL will be glad to assist you. As I am NOT an attorney and I am NOT familiar with all the state laws. Sorry for the confusion.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by gordo99:
My ex is exchanging vows with her partner tomorrow and they will not have a marriage license. They have purchased a home and will be living together as partners. I currently pay alimony and absent the license am I still legally required to pay alimony?

Maryland

[This message has been edited by gordo99 (edited July 22, 2000).]
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

A lot has to do with your marital settlement agreement. Alimony (Spousal Support) usually ends upon the remarriage or death of the recipient. Maryland does not recognize homosexual marriage (and I gather that's what's happening from your use of the word "partner" and the inference of "no license". Therefore, support should continue notwithstanding the verbiage of the settlement agreement.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

G

gordo99

This is not a homosexual marriage. My agreement states that alimony stops upon her remarriage. However, there will be no marriage license only an exchange of vows. Where do I stand?

P

paula2

IAAL, I find your statement suggesting that this was a homosexual marriage humorous, because the rednecks here in KY think that everyone from CA is a homo. What can I say but in the hills of Kentucky you find this kind of mentallity and it just struck me funny that someone from CA would assume this also.....so I guess it's true, there is alot of homolsexuality there. :D

U

usdeeper

This is not a homosexual marriage. My agreement states that alimony stops upon her remarriage. However, there will be no marriage license only an exchange of vows. Where do I stand?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

She is obviously doing this to ensure you continue to pay. She knows what she is doing and knows that without a marriage licence you will have to pay. Personally I think that sucks..

G

gordo99

Thanks for the input. I think it sucks too and to be honest it makes me wonder about the guy who is willing to have me continue to fund their life together.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">