• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Am I in trouble or what?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

AmericasMostWanted

In a nutshell:

1. My son was born in 1988 out of wedlock.
2. The relationship quickly came to an end in the first part of 1989.
3. We had a parental agreement drawn up in 1989. The state involved is PA.
4. The agreement states that PA has jurisdiction.
5. I fled the state without modifying the agreement in 1989.
6. In 1990 the bio dad was charged and convicted with various sex offenses and sentenced to 29 to 50 years in DOC.
7. I only recently let bio dad know where we are located.
8. Received papers today being charged with contempt of court order.
9. Am I in trouble or what?

Thanks in advance! Hopefully I won't be carried off to prison before anyone responds to my post! =)

A

Always searching

x

[This message has been edited by Always searching (edited October 14, 2000).]

A

AmericasMostwanted

Thanks for your reply. 7 days eh? It doesn't sound good for me. Guess I'll do the "attorney thing" again and spend money we don't have.

To answer your question, he is still in prison. He was taken into custody in 1990 and isn't eligible for parole until 2019 at the earliest. They may keep him up until 2049. A big reason why I fled is due to the nature of his crimes. Isn't it a funny world when a man can violate the person he lives with without consequences but do it to someone off the street and it really hits the fan. Guess instead of getting out of dodge when I did, I should have just stayed and had my throat cut.

Errrrrrrrrrrrrr I'm just alittle frustrated!

As for me showing he knew of my whereabouts, yes I have that. I have filed court papers dating back to 1989. He says he never received them and just last year "uncovered" them.

Oh by the way, I haven't been officially charged with contempt yet. The papers I received today, as I understand them, is his requesting the courts to bring contempt charges. Since he seems to have more rights and priveleges than I do, I kinda see where this is heading. Gee, having both parents in the slammer will be justice for my son. God I love this country!

U

usdeeper

Don't worry.. you are not going to end up in prision. There is an exception to the kidnapping law that says you can leave the state that holds jurisdiction if you or your child is in danger. With his record that will be easy to prove. Also with the records you have then more so.

If you can, then get an attorney to quickly scan the papers unless you are confident of the contents. Otherwise, just wait for official court papers.

A

Always searching

If he is in prison, what is he charging contempt of court for? He must be sitting around the law library with the other criminals and dreaming up misery to inflict. Perhaps you can have it thrown out before it gets to court by citing the fact he is in prison and has no rights to visitation during his vacation time. He is probably digging deep to figure out a way to see you again. These control freaks...it makes me shudder. Anyway, let us know what the contempt is for. I will be curious.

A

AmericasMostWanted

Okay, pulled out my papers and they read as follows concerning contempt charges: Legal proceedings have been brought against you alleging you have willfully disobeyed an Order of Court for partial custody, visitation and access to pertinent records custody agreement. Woo Hoo! (The "woo hoo" part was strictly my contribution) :)

As for the prison law library privilges, it makes me sick how he is able to abuse it. Our own public schools use out dated, worn out books while prisoners have access to every current law journal, magazine and New York Times best seller. Oh don't get me started!

And about the part of him just wanting to see me again. Yeah, I've come to that conclusion too. I just bet he sits awake all night long thinking about getting his hands on me just one more time. Then Buh-Bubba from the next cell over gives him a wink and tells him not to worry his pretty little head.

Considering that most of his crimes involve the kidnapping and rape of middle school aged girls, I hope he is one of the most popular fellas on C-Block.

But according to him. I'M THE CRIMINAL! Go figure! :) Well I've ranted too long. Nite folks!

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

So, you've heard of my friend Bubba, too? Yeah, he gets around the prison systems all over this country.

The court "has" to go through the motions on this one because papers were filed. You'll be fine. Even though he's in prison, doesn't mean the danger is past. He's got friends on the "outside" just stupid enough to do something he might ask. You were correct to get out of Dodge.

Just get an attorney.

Good luck to you.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AmericasMostWanted:
Woo Hoo! (The "woo hoo" part was strictly my contribution) :)
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Luckily for you, you are not a criminal until a judge says you are.. and a judge is unlikely to rule on your sense of humour so you should be ok :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">