• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Back child support

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jessica Gray

I owe $70,000 back child support which I was ordered to pay by a California Court. I have been divorced since 1980 and my children are now in their early 20's. My license was suspended in 1996 for failure to pay my support. Is there any way to get my license back so I can drive back and forth to work? Who do I contact, how do I go about this. Do I need a lawyer, or would a Fathers Advocate be able to help me? I need to know what I should do. Help!

L

LadyBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jessica Gray:
I owe $70,000 back child support which I was ordered to pay by a California Court. I have been divorced since 1980 and my children are now in their early 20's. My license was suspended in 1996 for failure to pay my support. Is there any way to get my license back so I can drive back and forth to work? Who do I contact, how do I go about this. Do I need a lawyer, or would a Fathers Advocate be able to help me? I need to know what I should do. Help!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In order to get your license back you are going to end up having to pay or make payment arrangements for the arrears.

Just to enlighten you a little... Child Support that was owed prior to the kids becoming adults.. is still owed.. it never goes away.. when you die it will be taken out of your estate.. so if you want to drive or live a life not looking behind your back and possibly getting arrested for this you need to contact the courts or DA in the county that the order was established and make payments.. or turn yourself in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">