• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

back child support for grown child

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

deblkenny

I have never received child support from my father. my parents split up when i was 3 years old. Can a grown child sue for back support?

MySonsMom

I think if anyone was going to go for child support it would be your Mother since she is the one entitled to it. I know there is a statute of limitations to collect..I don't know what it is tho..IAAL? But by any means, it's really not your money, it's your moms.

------------------
~MySonsMom~

W

whitsix

i dont know who the other person to reply to your bulletin was but they need to stop giving bad advice! YES YOU CAN SUE FOR SUPPORT YOUR FATHER DIDN'T PAY!!! you must do it before you are 21 if your not in college or 25 if you are

MySonsMom

I'm sorry that you feel my advice was *bad*. Child support is issued to the custodial parent to *help* for everyday costs of raising a child. This posters Mother obviously took care of her/him on her very own with no support from the Father. If the child support was paid when it should have been it would have gone to the Mother. Since now, child support wants to be collected, it should go to the Mother to *reimburse* her for supporting the child all through the years. What the Mother does with it is her business, whether she gives it to the child or whatever. The poster didn't elaberate on the sitution..But from what was said she feels that the money is hers. Which in all reality it is not. Again, sorry you feel that this information or advice is *bad*, but if you think about it hopefully you will see that it's reality.

------------------
~MySonsMom~

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">