• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

being sued for grandparents access...help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

amberdtc

I am a 23 year old woman with 2 children. I lived at home after having my now seven year old. My stepdad is an alcoholic and mother is addicted to painkillers. I moved out 4 years ago. Since then, I have gotten married and had another child. My mother has filed for grandparents rights because I will not allow them to see my children. She only filed for my oldest child though, not both. I have talked to two lawyers who basically told me they would get rights regardless. I dont know what to do. I cannot afford an attorney so I am going to court next week without legal representation. What kind of rights do I have? Can the courts appoint me an attorney, or is that only allowed in criminal procedures?

S

Snoopy

amberdtc said:
I am a 23 year old woman with 2 children. I lived at home after having my now seven year old. My stepdad is an alcoholic and mother is addicted to painkillers. I moved out 4 years ago. Since then, I have gotten married and had another child. My mother has filed for grandparents rights because I will not allow them to see my children. She only filed for my oldest child though, not both. I have talked to two lawyers who basically told me they would get rights regardless. I dont know what to do. I cannot afford an attorney so I am going to court next week without legal representation. What kind of rights do I have? Can the courts appoint me an attorney, or is that only allowed in criminal procedures?
They will not appoint an attorney.

Do a search on this site and the internet for 'Troxel v. Granville'

All you can do is document everything and present to the judge why they should not have access to your children.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">