• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Being taken to family court over class assignment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

kessie

Ok, this is really weird and stressful for me, but here goes. I am a student in the state of Virginia completing my degree in Communication Sciences and Disorders. My last class is Educational Assessment. Just last week I took home a Peabody Picture Vocabulary Test-III (PPVT-III) and administered it to my boyfriend's son who lives with us. I did it to him for 2 reasons a) he is the only child I have access to and I already administered a Slosson Intelligence Test to my boyfriend and he didnt want to take another test and b) he was given it by DSS last year because the mother had no choice, either he be given some tests or he would be taken away and I thought that since he recently had moved in with my boyfriend and I full time it would be interesting to see the results of the test. (due to the definate change in environment)Well when my boyfriend told her I gave him the test she decided to take us to court for giving it to him without her consent. Now under the IDEA laws parental consent is mandatory but that is if the test is to be used for placement services. I did the test as a class assignment and as that alone. The test was overseen and checked by a professional with a PhD (my professor). I am really scared as to what to do because it was just a class assignment and she has the case study writeup available to her. I am honestly desperate and stressed out and would appreciate any kind of help or advice. I have no money for a lawyer because this last class took the last of my student loan money. And personally I think it is hard to go to college and help raise a child and now this...

U

usdeeper

Did the boys father give his consent ??..

Think about it.. do you think the mother is going to put down a $1000 retainer to an attorney and take you to court just because you gave this test without her consent ?

K

kessie

Hi, thanks for your reply. She somehow gets a lawyer and takes my boyfriend to court all the time. Just recently he was asked to go to court because she called him and said they were going to take the child away from her and he was getting custody so he moved out of the dorms and in with me based on this conversation and she took him to court for moving without giving her enough notice. And yes I had the fathers consent. I believe it will be laughed out of court. It just is the last thing I need to deal with.

K

kessie

Hi, thanks for your reply. She somehow gets a lawyer and takes my boyfriend to court all the time. Just recently he was asked to go to court because she called him and said they were going to take the child away from her and he was getting custody so he moved out of the dorms and in with me based on this conversation and she took him to court for moving without giving her enough notice. And yes I had the fathers consent. I believe it will be laughed out of court. It just is the last thing I need to deal with.

K

KarenSmith

A lot of ex-s complain when the other takes a child to a hosp, too. You should maybe just let herself burn herself out, eventually, she'll hook into some other poor sucker.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">