• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

buying a car, name(s) on title?, not yet filed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Brenda M. Smith

I live in Kansas. I told my husband 2 weeks ago that I want a divorce. He plans to move out in about 1-2 weeks when the kids start school. I have been looking for a used car. I need reliable transportation to take the kids to school etc. I think I may purchase a car on Monday the 14th. My question is......... Who's name should be on the car loan? I have pre-approval from my credit union. I work full time and can qualify with only my income. If I sign the loan myself I believe I will be responsible for all the debt. Will he be eligible for half of the value after I file and it comes down to dividing the property. Will it be considered community property? I am afraid that he will have half the value but none of the debt. I was told by the credit union personnel that if the names on the loan need to change for any reason that I would have to go through the re-crediation process all over again and could be subject to a new (higher)interest rate. I will have considerable more expenses when he moves out, due to needing child care and I may not quality. Thanks for you help.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">