• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can absent fathers demand visitation?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

honestmom

I have raised my 3yr old son with out any support from his father. I was recently told that there was a law in California which states that if a parent has not paid child support at anytime throughtout the child life, he/she has no right to demand/request custody. I only wish this was true, does anyone know?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by honestmom:
I have raised my 3yr old son with out any support from his father. I was recently told that there was a law in California which states that if a parent has not paid child support at anytime throughtout the child life, he/she has no right to demand/request custody. I only wish this was true, does anyone know?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

That is ABSOLUTELY false. Child support and visitation rights are TWO DIFFERENT issues, and one has nothing to do with the other.

Are there court orders in place for visitation, custody and child support? If not, why not.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

H

honestmom

Alway's liable, I realize that child support and viaitation are two seperate things. In my case however they are closely related. I have choosen to keep myself and my son out of the "Family Court System" for many reasons. Mainy because I would rather work hard and struggle if necessary to support my child on my own. My son's father has no genuine interest in my son in a way shape or form, I have no interset in his money. I posted the question because I want to calrify my right's as the "custodial parent".

L

LadyBlu

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by honestmom:
Alway's liable, I realize that child support and viaitation are two seperate things. In my case however they are closely related. I have choosen to keep myself and my son out of the "Family Court System" for many reasons. Mainy because I would rather work hard and struggle if necessary to support my child on my own. My son's father has no genuine interest in my son in a way shape or form, I have no interset in his money. I posted the question because I want to calrify my right's as the "custodial parent". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What you need to realize is that if the *father* is aware the child is his, or even suspects it, he could petition the courts himself for visitation, custody and support.
It isnt only the right of the custodial parent to do these things.

LegalBeagle

Alway's liable, I realize that child support and viaitation are two seperate things. In my case however they are closely related. I have choosen to keep myself and my son out of the "Family Court System" for many reasons. Mainy because I would rather work hard and struggle if necessary to support my child on my own. My son's father has no genuine interest in my son in a way shape or form, I have no interset in his money. I posted the question because I want to calrify my right's as the "custodial parent". <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and of course, if you had read other posts, as the legal parent he could also just take the child and then your only recourse would be court action.

Is it nice of you to allow the father to get away with not supporting the child, but is it fair that you have to stuggle and therefore the child suffers a 'little' ?b. I mean, would an extra $300 a month make a difference to the upbringing of the child ?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">