• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I press charges?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

body66

Last night, My girlfriend (who is a minor) came over to my apartment. She enterd my house through a key I have in the mailbox of my apartment, and came into the room in which I was sleeping. She needed to talk to me about something, it was something that we had been fighting about for a long time, and I had broken up with her for it, but she once was banging on my apartment door for 2 hours untill I let her in, so I did and when I did she refused to leave, during that time I had to forcefully keep her away from me. I didn't hit her or anything, but I pushed her awat, and left a bruise on her inner arm from grabing her. I eventually told her I was going to call the police, but she would not allow me to the phone, and I eventaully ended up leaving my apartment.

Last night, is about a week later from that incedent, and she came over, she came in and told me that she wasnt alowed to see me anymore, and she was cring and stuff. I asked why, and apperantly she told someone that I had been abusive that last week, they called her paretns and they were no longet letting her see me. When I heard that I just told her plain and simple that I was not going to go out with her anymore, and that we were over, I didnt want to have to deal with all that. I never meant to hurt her. She told me that she was mad at me for not talking to her, and that is why shoe told people that I hurt her, and even she admitted it wasnt true. Anyway, after I told her I wasnt going to see heranymore, she refused to leave. She was screaming about how sorry she was and how she could never let me leave her etc., and I asked her repeatedly to leave. Eventually I tried to call her parents to come get her and get her out of my apartment, but she ripped the phone cord out of the wall. Then I told her I was going to call the police if she didnt leave, she still refused to leave. I then grabbed my other phone, a cordless, and with some struggle got into the bathroom and lock myself in. I started to call the local police, but she ran to the base in antoher room and unplugged the phone. I then had no choice but to try and get out of my apartment (I was still in bedcloths). She wouldnt allow me to leave, and she still wouldnt leave, and she wouldnt let me use the phone she kept physically ripping the cord away if I tried to fix the phone. I then started arguing with her and I ended up yelling for help. (I had nothign I could do... (I couldnt touch her, or she may call that abuse). Eventually my landlord called the police, and they came and took her home. I told them about the phone thing, but I was so upset I didn't really think of it that much, and I never asked if I could press charges, (this being the second time). The police then took her home, and said goodnight to me.

Here is my main problem/question. I know it was against the law for her to stop me from calling the police. Can I still press charges??? Also, I am worried about being evicted, b/c the two arguments were complaiend about by other tennants. What can I do??? I apologised to my landlord, but there was honestly nothign I could do to get her out and to stop yelling, I am worried that I will be evicted. I also want to press charges for her not allowing me to get help.

Thank you, Please post, and e-mail if possible.

body66

This information may help.

I live in Illinos, I am 18, my girlfriend is 17, and this is the second time this scenario happend, only the previous time I left my home to get away from her, and the police were not involved.

B

billyjean

assault

i'm in virginia but have been in a similar situation with my stepchildrens mother. She touched me while trying to take the phone from me while I tried to call police. she had entered my home uninvited. she cursed me, etc. the officer told me to file assault charges against, and ask for a restraining order. i later tried to have the charge dismissed to try and maintain a civil relationship with her due to the children. the judge placed it under advisement so that if she did anything during the following 12 months she would go to jail for 30 days. however, because of the children he did not grant a restraining order. 3 years later she assaulted me physically and my husband, found guilty, fined, and placed on probation. my landlord filed trespassing papers against her. file assault charges against her. let your landlord know you have done this, and ask him to notify her parents that if she trespasses on his property again he will have her arrested. i hope this helps

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">