• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can you get child support from a married man?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

KTGIRL

I want to know if a married man can be made to pay child support if it is found that he made someone pregnant. What if he offered to pay for an abortion, because he didn't want the responsibility, and the woman refused to terminate the pregnancy. Is he legally liable, in any way? Can he be forced to submit to blood testing to determine paternity? What can or can't be done if this man is legally married to another woman? Does the pregnant woman have any legal rights with regards to the married man?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by KTGIRL:
I want to know if a married man can be made to pay child support if it is found that he made someone pregnant. What if he offered to pay for an abortion, because he didn't want the responsibility, and the woman refused to terminate the pregnancy. Is he legally liable, in any way? Can he be forced to submit to blood testing to determine paternity? What can or can't be done if this man is legally married to another woman? Does the pregnant woman have any legal rights with regards to the married man?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

I'll take "Pregnancy and Child Support" for $400, Alex.

Yes, to all of your questions. The woman has the final say-so whether or not to terminate a pregnancy (See "Roe vs. Wade" 1974).

The woman merely files a Petition in the Family Law court, and has the man served with the papers. The court will order a DNA test, if the man refuses to voluntarily accept paternity.

The fun actually begins when the man is served, and the wife looks at him and says, "Is that your final answer, Regis."

Then I get a new divorce client.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

I

ifeelsick

this makes me sick. attention all women, don't have sex with married men!! yes, you can take them to court, and get child support. but what a woman. men, well, they are led by a power they can't seem to control, but women, it is a disgrace to go after a married man. i hope one day laws change so these women can't make a buck from sleeping with married men and then get money from them, and people actually feel sorry for them... it is sick. sorry i am so mad, but i am sick of women and their stupidity. get your own man and leave the married ones alone. i am bitter, yes. and have every right to be...

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by ifeelsick:
this makes me sick. attention all women, don't have sex with married men!! yes, you can take them to court, and get child support. but what a woman. men, well, they are led by a power they can't seem to control, but women, it is a disgrace to go after a married man. i hope one day laws change so these women can't make a buck from sleeping with married men and then get money from them, and people actually feel sorry for them... it is sick. sorry i am so mad, but i am sick of women and their stupidity. get your own man and leave the married ones alone. i am bitter, yes. and have every right to be...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

and of course, the men are innocent bystanders...

There was once an agency where women could hire near model like type women to try and pick up their husband to see if he 'could' be unfaithful. Out of the first 50 cases, all 50 men succumb to the charms of the women.

It was an unfair test in some ways because for most of the men, they have never in their life had sex offered to them on a 'plate' as this event did.. and never by a model type women..

Some men will have affairs regardless of how great their marriage is.. and others will only think about it if their marriage is not so great.. and it take two people to keep a marriage alive and healthy.

P

paula2

Okay here's my 2 cents worth.

Most men don't use the right head with which to think with. Women know this, and use it to their advantage. Sex as a weapon. Women know how to turn on that sex appeal to get what they want and men fall for it 90% of the time. Then that leaves us to those women you get pregnant as a means of support. I went to school with a girl who lives here in town and has 5 children all by different men and collects child support for each one, and each man provides medical support for these children as well. So on an average she is probably recieving $250 per child, totally $1,250 a month. Not bad.
And there are alot of women out there the know the system and use it. That gives the rest of us a bad name. It's no wonder we are bitter.

K

KTGIRL

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
My response:

I'll take "Pregnancy and Child Support" for $400, Alex.

Yes, to all of your questions. The woman has the final say-so whether or not to terminate a pregnancy (See "Roe vs. Wade" 1974).

The woman merely files a Petition in the Family Law court, and has the man served with the papers. The court will order a DNA test, if the man refuses to voluntarily accept paternity.

The fun actually begins when the man is served, and the wife looks at him and says, "Is that your final answer, Regis."

Then I get a new divorce client.

IAAL

Actually, IAAL, no divorce client just yet. I am the wife in the triangle. We have a very good stalker law here in Missouri, but my husband refused to take advantage of it, and that is exactly what this woman did, she decided that she wanted to steal him and she tried everything that she could. She got him to cheat on my because I worked second shift, leaving him with a lot of free time to be seduced, and a lot of anger towards me for working a shift (0ut of necessity) that kept us apart most of the week. She swore up and down he didn't need to use protection because she was on the pill, and he is definitely gullible enough to fall for it. Then we seperated, due to the fact that I knew what was going on. I had no contact with him for months, then he decided he wanted to try and work things out, because he did love me, and couldn't stand losing me. I told him that he would have to end things with her. It was after he informed her that it was over, and we were reconciling that he received a bag from her containing a pregnancy test stick (positive, of course) a note from her doctor verifying pregnancy, and a note pleading with him to give her a chance to "love" him. Even before all this, she would track him down wherever he went, to the point that his own mother told her to leave her married son alone, and that cops would be called if she ever stepped on the property again. It has only escalated since then. It was the oldest trick in the book, and he fell for it. I just wanted to know what, if any protection he had due to her past behavior he had. She lied and tricked him into this pregnancy, and is now playing it for all it is worth.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

U

usdeeper

The only protection he had was a condom.. he did not use one so now he has been screwed twice.

It amazes me that there are people out their that still do not use condoms.. it is irrelevant if the women is on the pill or not. Overall, it sounds like you are making excuses for him.. He wanted nothing to do with this women and then one night she seduced him ??.. and then he blames you for working so hard to build a future together.. please don't go there..

Anyway.. away from the moral side of all this.. He will have to take a paternity to prove he is or is not the father. If he is the father, then he will be liable for child support.. it will be up to him if he wants anything to do with the child and ask for visitation rights...

For you.. if you hate this woman, it will be tough knowing that for the next (at least) 18 years, your husband will have a lot to do with this woman. Will be seeing her, sometimes alone and between you and him, paying child support...

The way you describe this women, life is going to be tough for you.. if you have no children yourself, then think loooong and hard before commiting to that stage in your relationship.. as at the moment, you can virtually walk away and leave him to clean up the mess .. and to deal with the problems that will arise over the next 18 years...

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by paula2:
Most men don't use the right head with which to think with. Women know this, and use it to their advantage.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Paula, the most powerful creature on the face of this planet is an attractive, intelligent women who has, and can use, sex appeal.

Crappy example.. but I once had a new women starter (for different dept) ask for a better computer. I said no. Next thing I know, my 18 year old virgin boy member of staff is in the store room pulling things to bits trying to make her a better computer.. of course she had no intention of taking him out to lunch or giving him that kiss.. :)

U

usdeeper

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by I AM ALWAYS LIABLE:
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I know this is a serious subject... but in light of the new information, your above comment is funny :)

I

ifeelsick

there is a good forum at marriagebuilders.com under pregnancy/child.

i am grumpy, but only because i am already in your shoes, ktgirl.

as for men, yes, they have responsibilities, that is why they pay child support. but most don't want to have a relationship with the child, which is why it would be best for all that the child be give to a loving 2 parent home. but most of these women could care less about that, and the stigma and later emotional problems the child will face. even if the father is involved, the truth will always be there. how sad...

P

paula2

For usdeeper, the computer episode....my point exactly.

For KTGIRL, go to feeling the blues, and see what a psycho we are dealing with. If the child is his....well....be prepared, things are going to get worse.

To you men out there on the board, forgive me for the next statement, but it holds some truth. Women are smarter at conniving and schemeing men into believing about anything. And so many women still use the trick "you don't need protection, I'm on the pill" to catch and trap the man they want. One would think that fathers would have warned their sons about this age old trick, that so many men have feel for.

K

KTGIRL

To ifeelsick:
It makes me sick too,but there's nothing I can do to change it now. I do love my husband, but I know he's not perfect and I know that if the child is his, we will have to deal with that issue for 18 years, longer if the kid is in an accredited school. I wouldn't go after a married man, but there are obviously women in the world who find the band of gold a signal to go into hormonal overdrive. They haven't managed to get a husband of their own, so they go after someone else's to build their low self esteem. When the husband falls into this trap, then the wife who still loves him either has to accept, forgive and go on, or leave the relationship, and lose the love and stability she has known. I choose to forgive. He is not the only one at fault here. She is not the only one at fault either. Two wrongs don't make a right. This is my second marriage. The first was when I was young and ended quickly because he was abusive. I waited over twenty years to even consider marriage again, and never thought I would meet someone to whom I could make that kind of long term connection again. But I did. We have been together for eight years, married for three. I stood in front of my family, friends, and God and swore to love this man for life. I have no intention of breaking that promise just because he made a mistake, even though it was a considerable one. I even feel a certain amount of responsibility for this, because if things had been totally right with our relationship, I don't feel it would have happened. All I'm trying to do now, is see how deep the hole is that we are in, so we can go on from there with a fairly well thought out contingency plan. Since you are in my shoes, you know that none of the choices open to us in this situation are easy. Love and life are not perfect. I'm just trying to keep my head above water, and hopefully will be able to do so.

To: usdeeper

Making excuses? Hello!!! I put very limited information into my post. YOU DO NOT KNOW THE WHOLE SITUATION, YOU DO NOT KNOW ME, HIM, OR HER. I am not stupid, I never said my husband was a rocket scientist or perfect, because obviously he's not. She was over at the house of a married man, and she knew he was married, every time he came home from work. She followed him everywhere he went, so much so, that several family members threatened to have her arrested if she didn't leave their property. His mother was only one. She called him at work, or showed up there. She would show up at our home when he wasn't there, and give my kids some bs excuse about needing to talk to him urgently. One time she told my 21 year old son that the brakes had locked up on her car and she needed him to fix them. When asked how she got there, she responded "Oh I drove the car". Then it was her heater that wasn't working. He fixed the heater, and turned around to find her standing there buck naked. He left without saying a word. Now the normal person would have got the hint. But no, she kept up her activities until she finally wore him down, and because of the problems we were having, she won. Making excuses, PUHLEEZE. Oh, and I'm so glad you find so much humor in the situation. "Please don't go there", Again, you don't know the facts. I was bringing in 2/3rds of the income of the house, providing the only health insurance coverage, etc. Yes he worked, but I made more, and because I work in a bindery, was required to work a lot of overtime, including 9 straight days right before the Christmas holidays. I couldn't go to first shift, which was what he wanted. So he felt that I didn't care enough about the relationship to take a cut in pay to work on first, because there were no openings in my department on first. I did what I thought was best for my family, by bringing in the most money I could. Unfortunately he did not agree, and this was his way of showing it. What I did describe of that woman before was only the tip of the iceberg. To show you how cold she was, she made sure to get a job at the same place as I work, and then proceeded to tell everyone she was scared of me (I drive a forklift) because she just knew I wanted to run over her, but she didn't know why. If I sound pissy, I am sorry. I logged on to get the answer to some legal questions, and I feel as though I have been attacked. If that was not your intent, I am sorry, but that was the view from here.

To: Paula2

Yes, I definitely agree with you there. I am also glad that there is someone else who knows how low some women will sink to get what they want, or whom they want. Now for the kicker. She managed to get herself a job at the local Child Support Enforcement Office. How appropo, don't you agree? Now if anyone had any doubts about her intentions, that fact alone should clear them up. Too bad most people don't understand how conniving some females can be.

U

usdeeper

Hey, your legal question was answered and most of my post is relevant.

As for the rest of your reply.. if you can not read what you wrote and see anything wrong then I am not here to educate you.

Bottom line.. if this child turns out to be his, you need to decide whether you can stomach having this women in your life for the next 18 or more years.

[This message has been edited by usdeeper (edited July 21, 2000).]

K

KTGIRL

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by usdeeper:
Hey, your legal question was answered and most of my post is relevant.

As for the rest of your reply.. if you can not read what you wrote and see anything wrong then I am not here to educate you.

Bottom line.. if this child turns out to be his, you need to decide whether you can stomach having this women in your life for the next 18 or more years.

This is my last post to this thread.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
To Usdeeper:

Iam so sorry. Obviously, this situation i s getting to me more than I realized. I has no reason to blast you. I even see the humor, as I'm sure many who read the original post probably thought I was the other woman. My husband did something stupid, very stupid considering aids and all things of that nature floating around. And here I am, still trying to cure all the situations he ends up in which his stupidity, trying to rationalize something that was not rational under any reason. I love him. I may not like all the things he does, but I really do love him. But I can't fix this. I didn't make the choice, he did. That we were having problems isn't the issue. The issue is that when the opportunity presented itself, he broke the vows we took for life, and there may be a child born because of it. While I have been looking forward to the day when we would have it easier financially, he has singlehandedly screwed that up for the next 18 years, and there is no way around it. I've been so busy trying to be supportive to him, I didn't realize the effect it was having on me. I know it's over between them, but the hurt is still there. I resent having to scrape by for even longer financially when he's the one who couldn't keep it zipped. Maybe IAAL should have another divorce client, because I don't know if I can handle that woman being in our lives until I draw my last breath, which she will be. 18 years isn't enough for her. Again, I am so sorry for the flameout. Thanks for forcing me to face facts. Too bad in all the icons they have, they don't have a white dove, olive branch in beak. That or a "humble pie". Sorry again.

I

ifeelsick

ktgirl,

i know exactly how you feel, if you want support and advice from others who have been and are still in the same kind of situation you are in, go to marriagebuilders.com and find the forums/discussion boards, look for the one called pregnancy/child. there is lots of support there and legal advice from people who have been there.

as for the woman being in your life for the next 18 years, everything can go thru the courts and contact will be minimal, even if your husband wants contact with the child. sorry you are in this situation, it is not a fun place to be and no one can quite understand it until they have been there. i too love my husband, he did a stupid thing, but he is not a bad person.

take care and hope to see you on marriage builders.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">