• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing custody arrangement?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jamie Clark

Can anyone help me? My ex-husband is now remarried, and his new wife makes my 6 year old call her "Mom". They do not inform me of doctors visits and even tried to deny me the right to be at an eye appointment (I went anyway.) I was not consulted when they enrolled my son in school and was not put on the emergency contact sheet that the nurse has! They even wrote a letter to the principal so that I couldn't pick him up from school. All of this I believe goes against our custody arrangement. I tried to get the arrangement changed last year but the law gaurdian said that there wasn't a big enough change in the situation to make a change. Where do I go? Do I have any grounds to get things changed?

J

Jamie Clark

I am in New York. I am consulting a lawyer tomorrow (Friday) and will let you know how I make out. Is your "other woman" as bad as mine? My son gets so confused and it breaks my heart! Talk to you soon.

MySonsMom

Do you have joint custody? If so, you can obtain medical records if you choose. Don't expect them to inform you of everything when it comes to the child, as much as it would be nice for 2 separated parents to share equally in the parenting dept. it usually doesn't end up that way. If you want your name on school records (and you have joint custody) go up to the school with proof of the joint cust. and request that you be informed for things, and that your name is on the documents. Do the same with Doctor visits, request copies so that you know what is going on. See if that works. Good luck!

------------------
~MySonsMom~

MySonsMom

I forgot to add..the part about them requesting that you are not able to pick the child up from schoool...If that is not your normal visitation time with the child they can do that. It's hard..I know..Good luck to you!

------------------
~MySonsMom~

J

Jamie Clark

I spoke at length with the Principal of my son's school and he was outraged at the things my ex has done. Last year he and my sons teacher sent me copies of everything from extra book club order forms to the average classroom newsletter. They were a god send. I on the other hand made sure my ex had a copy of everything that came home when my son was with me. I don't feel it's right to deprive my ex with pertinent info just because he wasn't a good husband. Being a husband and being a father in my eyes are two totally seperate worlds. I wish he'd stop just for a minute and think about the things he does. And I wish he'd but his new wife on a leash. It's nice to know that there are women out there that understand. Thanks for your reply.

A

adelia

Yes, she's pretty bad. It doesn't bother me that we don't get along. What does bother me is the idea of my son getting caught in the middle of her unnessary wrath.
Good luck

J

Jamie Clark

I can totally understand that! Mybe if she had my son's best interest at heart I wouldn't be so upset. She does these things to get back at me. And I hate to point out to her that she's just digging a bigger hole for herself. One day my son is going to be and adult and he's going to remember this stuff. If she's still around, there's going to be alot of hard feelings. I am honest with my son and he knows how much I love him. She'll pay for this one day. Maybe the paybck won't be for me, but one day we all pay... I'll get back to you tomorrow to let you know how it went with the lawyer. Take care...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">