• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Changing A Minor's Last Name ! Pls Help!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

Rosemary1

My husband's ex claims to have 2 kids fathered by my husband. When the kids were born , she told him that the kids were not his. The kids will be 9 and now she wants to give the kids my husband's last name. Can she do that without his consent? Would she need a paternity test to prove that he is the father? and if so, can he make a motion ordering her to do so? I live in NY and any help will be greatly appreciated !!!

A

ArizAl

I'd check with a local NY lawyer on that -- in most states a kid born within the marriage is deemed the child of the husband. I am not sure inf NY has adopted the DNA exclusion rule yet, and if so what that means. The issue usually is support, not the naming.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">